Related:
Create New Tag
Boris_the_Blade Boris_the_Blade
7/14/2012 4:19 PM

Greetings - I've been wanting to get into freestyle BMX for a while, but just never really did. I've skated for the past several years but I really want to make the switch to riding BMX, the only problem being that I'm not exactly sure in what order I should try to progress my skills.

I ride a 2005 Haro Mirra 540 Air, and live about 30 minutes away from a really nice wood park and would love to start heading out there once I feel I'd actual be able to progress when I go.

I guess my main question is in what order should I try to develop skills/tricks? I'm ready to commit a lot of time to learning things right, and I don't expect to master things the first try. I would just love some advice on the order in which I should try to learn things. And at what point I should start heading out to the park - and once there, what are the first things I should try to do?

I've been trying to ride a couple hours a day until my hands were raw to really improve my bunny hops haha.

I know some of this may seem really obvious, but none of my friends are into BMX nor are they looking to get into it, so I'm on my own. I appreciate any wisdom you can share (including advice about hardware)!

sketchytravis sketchytravis
7/14/2012 6:54 PM

you just kinda pick tricks you wanna learn and work at them... start with fakies, turnouts, 180s, nosepivots, 360s, dropping in, airing out, one handers

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

FLYxODYSSEY FLYxODYSSEY
7/15/2012 7:48 PM

Try to improve hops, hops out of banks, and air out of quarters. Start working on spin tricks 180s, 360s, and variations of the two. But what I believe is most important is to become comfortable and confident in your balance, control, and handling. As far as your bike goes I would recommend a Flybikes frame.Their on the pricey side but will last you forever. And what ever parts you find suit you the best. You don't need the best of the best like so many people think. Just make sure your bike is well built and feels solid. IE. no squeaking, tings, chings, or rattles, make sure everything's greased right, tires are properly inflated etc... If that's an issue just go to your local bike shop, most offer a complete tuneup for under $50. Hope this helps:D Best of luck

Your flying through the desert in your canoe, and your tire pops. How many pancakes does it take to cover a doghouse?
None silly! There's no chicken bones in applesauce

Flyeagles5 Flyeagles5
7/30/2012 5:22 AM

Practice getting j hops high then do footjam fakie outs then do 180s 360s and 3 taps ten just start pickin whatever tricks looks cool to you

thundershock thundershock
7/30/2012 9:58 PM

have fun

David Smith David Smith
7/31/2012 10:40 PM

Ya and go to the park as soon as possible. i didnt have a huge passion for bikes until i hit the park. the first minute i stepped into a park i knew it was home. u may find that u have a style like tom dugan or chase hawk. they just try to go as high and fast as possible and dont worry about tricks

If anyone lives in Tucson hit me up

pleirbag pleirbag
8/2/2012 12:25 PM

i like david smiths idea go to the park you might meet people that can help you with how to do some of the tricks and you might make some friends. i like riding alone sometimes but its better when you have people to talk to and hangout with

Boris_the_Blade Boris_the_Blade
8/7/2012 11:07 PM

I've actually gone to the park a few times, its fun as hell. I can drop in and air out fine - but there's usually a good amount of people biking there and I imagine they can't be too thrilled with a dude dropping in just to practice that haha.

I've been riding in my street just to try to get better at fakies and such before I head back to the park.

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP