Related:
Create New Tag
tiho tiho
4/1/2017 12:09 PM

im going to raw my frame (probably next week) using paint stripper
any tips and tricks? like how much clear coat layers do i need, sanding etc.
i dont wanna fuck it up cause im doing this for the first time

Photo

grumpySteve grumpySteve
4/1/2017 12:44 PM

Use a good paint stripper and be patient with it. Don't sand your frame after, just let the paint stripper do its work. Make sure the frame is clean and grease/oil free. Use good quality clear and just follow the instructions on the can

tiho tiho
4/1/2017 3:37 PM
grumpySteve wrote:

Use a good paint stripper ...more

i've read that powder coated stuff is a lot harder to strip with paint stripper
now im not sure if my frame has regular paint or powder coat
is there any way to find out? i dont really have much experience with painting

cazzz cazzz
4/1/2017 7:11 PM

I've never done it, but post pics if you do.

grumpySteve grumpySteve
4/1/2017 11:23 PM

Yeah powder is harder to get off, it just takes more patience. You could always get it sand blasted? Sanding takes forever, and it's hard to get a consistent finish

weegaz22 weegaz22
4/2/2017 12:40 AM
grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah powder is harder to ...more

I've removed powdercoat before for parts for my motorcycles and campervan before recoating stuff myself a different colour, If your in the states get hold of "aircraft paint remover" it contains Methylene Chloride which is the active ingredient that will remove powdercoat, here in Europe its next to impossible to get a paint stripper that contains it as the EU banned it being used in stripper cos its pretty nasty stuff that will damage your health so DO IT OUTSIDE, I bought Methylene Chloride itself off ebay and add it to an off the shelf stripper, to help it work scuff up the frame with some sandpaper first then get a bin bag to put your parts in after you cover it in the stripper, the reason for the bin bag is the active ingredient evaporates away in that well ventilated area you need to be in, so putting stuff in a bag prevents that and keeps it working longer.

tiho tiho
4/2/2017 1:06 AM
grumpySteve wrote:

weegaz22 wrote:

I've removed powdercoat ...more

i live in europe too and i've never seen anyone use paint stripper
i will try to find one and put it on somewhere (maybe dropout) and see if it works
if not, can i just order aircraft stripper from ebay?

weegaz22 weegaz22
4/2/2017 1:22 AM
grumpySteve wrote:

weegaz22 wrote:

I've removed powdercoat ...more

tiho wrote:

i live in europe too and ...more

you can, but it was turning out to be pretty pricey by the time shipping from the states was added, not to mention i wasn't sure whether it would have got through customs or not, so i just bought a litre of Methylene Chloride itself and added it to stripper i had lying around, hell I've heard of guys mixing it into wallpaper paste as it keeps it in a workable gel form

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals ยป

THE SHOP