btn
btn
1 of 2
Related:
Create New Tag
johnnyluvbuckets johnnyluvbuckets
2/7/2018 10:02 AM

Has anyone had any experience running these odyssey calibur cranks? I can't seem to find allot of information/reviews on them. I found that odd seeing as how they've been out for months now. Is it one of those things that kind of just flopped and people forgot about?

| Quote
Mishinn_Control Mishinn_Control
2/7/2018 10:18 AM

They look nice & are priced pretty well. However, they are not included in the Lifetime warranty that Odyssey offers on their other cranks. I was looking at them before I found out that info. & while they may be fine & may not ever need a warranty, I felt better paying a little more to have that insurance (I bought the Thunderbolts).

| Quote
Phunny93 Phunny93
2/7/2018 10:43 AM

No they're Great, Very Good basic 48 Spline from Odyssey-I got Mine from Albes, the spindle was super pre-greased, and it came with a little packet of grease.

| Quote
Bulletpup Bulletpup
2/7/2018 11:17 AM

If you are planning on doing serious riding there is not much point in running anything besides the thunderbolts imo.

Lifetime warranty, pretty lightweight, easy installation, never develops wobble, size options are decent. Look on ebay you can get them brand new for 120 new shipped. Lhd or rhd.

| Quote
johnnyluvbuckets johnnyluvbuckets
2/7/2018 11:24 AM

Gotcha. Thanks for all the replies. I never knew they weren't part of their 41 thermal lifetime warranty, so I'm glad I asked. To be honest though, Every odyssey part I've ever purchased has always lasted me. i hear what you're saying though, it's nice to have that guarantee just incase. I was looking to switch over to LHD and go shorter on the crank arms. If I decide to do that, I'll stick with the thunderbolt option. Thanks again.

| Quote
Bulletpup Bulletpup
2/7/2018 11:27 AM
johnnyluvbuckets wrote:

Gotcha. Thanks for all the ...more

They make 165mm cranks I think gor the thunderbolts.

I just wish they would make lhd/rhd cranks in one instead of making you choose. But that would kill sales so I understand.

| Quote
Brayden_Buckingham Brayden_Buckingham
2/7/2018 12:15 PM

They’re probably pretty good , I’d probably want those more than thunderbolts just because the 3 piece design . I mean if Odyssey makes them odds are they’ll be good as fuck anyways . Plus their warranty is good enough I heard so if you did have issues they’d probably hook it up .

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

| Quote
HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
2/7/2018 12:26 PM
Bulletpup wrote:

They make 165mm cranks I ...more

How would that kill sales? If anything it would help. It makes it easier for shops/mail orders to sell them.

Let's just say a shop stocks up on 5 pairs RHD and 5 pairs LHD. The next day, 8 riders come in and want to buy RHD Thunderbolts. 3 of those riders are going to end up buying a different company's RHD crank instead. A year goes by, none of the LHDs have sold, so the shop is forced to put them on clearance and loses money.

The real reason they're one-side-only is because they put the 15/16" lip on the pre-installed side of the Spindle so that you're limited to what sprocket you can run. There's a lot more 15/16" sprockets available nowadays because of 24mm cranks, but when the Thunderbolts first came out, you were nearly limited to having to ride an Odyssey Sprocket.


As for Thunderbolts vs. Caliburs, I have yet to see the proof that Thunderbolts are actually stronger? Yes, the interface is guaranteed to not loosen up, which is a nice plus (Socket Interface > 48spline), but I've seen a few pairs snap completely at the non-wraparound weld. Ive read that this design is stronger than a wraparound but I just don't see how? Sounds like a gimmick to me more than anything.

Also, how many people on this forum have actually recently had an issue with 48spline cranks developing a wiggle? Most of the time it happens is either user-error from riding the bolt loose or involves a super old set of 19mm cranks. If you're truly concerned that your bolts will come loose on their own (I know it happens,) put some blue loctite on the threads?
& to bash 48spline cranks because your 19mm Profiles from 2003 developed a wobble in 2015 is a bit absurd to me..
1. Modern 22/24mm cranks have larger splines that will certainly take longer to wear
2. Most cranks, including Thunderbolts, will need replaced in that amount of time anyways..





Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


| Quote
ggallin422 ggallin422
2/7/2018 1:08 PM
johnnyluvbuckets wrote:

Gotcha. Thanks for all the ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

They make 165mm cranks I ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

How would that kill sales? ...more

Actually, I think the real gimmick, is the wraparaound welds lol. And if you haven't seen proof that Thunderbolts are stronger, couldn't you say the same about Odyssey forks? They both use the stampy test btw, but I wouldn't count that as proof either. I think odyssey forks are great, but maybe just a bit overhyped. I think there's plenty of forks that are just as strong, or stronger, especially the forks that weigh almost 10 oz more. Just saying, we never really know for sure.

| Quote
Bulletpup Bulletpup
2/7/2018 1:08 PM
johnnyluvbuckets wrote:

Gotcha. Thanks for all the ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

They make 165mm cranks I ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

How would that kill sales? ...more

It would kill sales because you wouldnt need to buy a second set if you switched your drivetrain side.

Also, why buy a set of cranks that you will need to pay to replace?

Lifetime warranty is where its at, pay once.

Im sure splines will last however long but again, why mess with it if there is a system that never develops any wobble?

Again, this is my opinion and my thought process.

Im not saying all other cranks are obsolete just that its harder for me to justify the purchase when thunderbolts serve the purpose well for a reasonable price.

They are certainly not invincible, nothing is but Odyssey will back them if something goes wrong.

Honestly, im sure they would back the caliburs too if something went wrong but who knows what the future holds. Id rather get the cranks that say lifetime warranty on the card. smile

| Quote
adamnmexican adamnmexican
2/7/2018 2:46 PM

get profile cranks instead

It’s all bmx

| Quote
sundaybmxRR sundaybmxRR
2/7/2018 3:17 PM

Get Thunderbolts instead. No, not because of the warranty (even though that's icing on the cake) but because of the wedge interface

| Quote
dave lawrence dave lawrence
2/8/2018 6:04 AM
Bulletpup wrote:

If you are planning on ...more

My Twombolts wobble like a mofo if I don't super crank em down...

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

| Quote
HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
2/8/2018 6:11 AM
Bulletpup wrote:

If you are planning on ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

My Twombolts wobble like a ...more

Shitpost initiated




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


| Quote
grumpySteve grumpySteve
2/8/2018 6:29 AM

Lifetime warranty is case by case though. If you break something, getting a free replacement isn't guaranteed. Something having a lifetime warranty doesn't come into play at all when I buy anything. I'd rather support the brands I like regardless of warranty. My frame has a 30 day manufacturing defect warranty, and that's it. Do I think I could break it within a year or 2? Nope. Would I be pissed off if it did break? Nope, it's just something that will happen over time with any part.

Animal sprockets have a lifetime warranty, you think they'll replace it if you continuously land on it? Of course they won't, because that's not what they're designed for. It's not "normal use"

| Quote
p1p1092 p1p1092
2/8/2018 6:44 AM
Bulletpup wrote:

It would kill sales ...more

That's a bit of cop-out, how often do people change their driveside? I don't know anyone who has changed their driveside more than once and they only did it because they got a complete with the wrong driveside...

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

| Quote
Bulletpup Bulletpup
2/8/2018 7:22 AM
HardBMX_Tim wrote:

How would that kill sales? ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

It would kill sales ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

That's a bit of cop-out, ...more

Well...i bought 2 sets.

I bought a set of rhd thunderbolts for my bike before I decided to try grinding.

I then decided I needed lhd cranks and bought a pair of lhd thunderbolts to hit my sprocket and chain less.

Im sure Im not the only one but perhaps youre right, maybe its not a reason they dont make a switchable version. I do think it would streamline the manufacturing for them only having one set to make.

Now that Im in the process of learning pedal feebles on my opposite side I was thinking about switching my drivetrain back over to the right temporarily. But I bought some used cranks off here with mounting holes on both sides, so Im good.

I can use other cranks of course but I would love to use the cranks I trust most.

I know, now that I have 2 rear wheels that have switchable drive sides, I will never buy another wheel that doesnt have that feature. Also i have switched the drive side of my eastern wheel 4 times since Ive owned it. Mainly just to accommodate cranks that only had right side mounts but if the switchable feature didnt exist, i would have definitely bought a new lhd wheel.

Just food for thought, i dont think ahead very often but im sure there are others that think like me. Kinda like the people that will never buy another frame without built in tensioners or removable brake hardware. Those people are now off the market for every frame that doesnt have those things. Once those features came to be, some people just cant go back.

| Quote
Bulletpup Bulletpup
2/8/2018 7:56 AM
grumpySteve wrote:

Lifetime warranty is case ...more

I would not expect them to guaranteed replace my cranks from years of grinding abuse for free. I would run it by them and see what they would be comfortable doing for me as I am a loyal customer.

If they cracked or snapped before I felt they should, I would expect a free replacement.

I know I would be taken care of in that case, there are other companies that stand by their products without claiming "lifetime warranty" but its just a nice piece of mind.

| Quote
HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
2/8/2018 8:55 AM
Bulletpup wrote:

Well...i bought 2 sets.

I ...more

So you'll only buy switchable hubs but won't consider buying switchable cranks? I guess I don't see the sense in that.

Me personally, if I had to buy a new crank set just to switch drive sides, I'd just go with a switchable set at that point and save myself any future trouble.

Realistically the likelihood of someone buying another set of Thunderbolts is pretty low. At least from my experience, most riders like to try new stuff when they have to buy new stuff. + once they sell their used Thunderbolts, that's one less person who would have potentially bought brand new Thunderbolts instead.

It's also much easier to resell switchable cranks, so a lot of people who build & sell, including myself, buy switchable cranks. I always sell all my parts though so thats a big selling point for me.

Again, the reason they're one-side-only is because a few years ago that basically meant you HAD to ride an Odyssey Sprocket with them, which is kind of a low blow to the sellers if you ask me. (Kinda like those United Cranks I had. I could have kept them but they're only compatible with a couple sprockets that simply don't fit what I need in a sprocket.)

WTP & Profile offer lifetime warranty on their switchable cranks, if that's the only reason you would go with Thunderbolts. And I don't want to hear "but wedge interface" because them becoming wobbly would be covered by the warranty..




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


| Quote
Edman123 Edman123
2/8/2018 9:01 AM
p1p1092 wrote:

That's a bit of cop-out, ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Well...i bought 2 sets.

I ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

So you'll only buy ...more

They don't come wobbly if you don't run them loose as well

Hmmm

| Quote
HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
2/8/2018 9:13 AM
Bulletpup wrote:

Well...i bought 2 sets.

I ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

So you'll only buy ...more

Edman123 wrote:

They don't come wobbly if ...more

I've never had an issue with 48spline cranks coming loose and I rode 8 days out of 10 for 5-6years straight (all the way up until 6months ago.)

I have had my spindle bolts randomly come loose though many times, so I can see how it could happen. Again, a little bit of blue loctite on those bolts & you're good.

Seriously, I know so many riders that ride 48spline cranks, and haven't seen a single wobbly pair in person, or even heard anyone complain about theirs being wobbly. I'm pretty sure it's a problem of the past with 19mm cranks, or a problem of user error most times.

Don't get me wrong though, if you have a crank set last you 10 years, there's a chance it will have some wobble to it. Parts wear & you can't expect them to last forever. Everything has its replacing point. I'd like to see a set of Thunderbolts last that long though (the few pairs I've seen snap were only a year or 2 old.)




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


| Quote
Bulletpup Bulletpup
2/8/2018 10:08 AM
p1p1092 wrote:

That's a bit of cop-out, ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Well...i bought 2 sets.

I ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

So you'll only buy ...more

I just bought some switchable cranks. They are not thunderbolts though.

I have a lhd set and rhd set of thunderbolts. I know that if odyssey released a lhd/rhd set today, It would be at least a little harder to sell the single sided cranks unless heavily discounted.

I understand your point, I just hope you understand mine and know Im not trying to argue, just sharing my thoughts. smile

| Quote
Bulletpup Bulletpup
2/8/2018 10:56 AM
Bulletpup wrote:

If you are planning on ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

My Twombolts wobble like a ...more

Do you run them with spacers covering up the portion of the axle that is not milled out to accommodate the wedge cluster? I found that the aluminum covers crush a little bit and allow the arm and wedge cluster to deform a bit. If you are using the odyssey bb kit. Make sure there is a dmall steel washer in between the wedge cluster and the aluminum cone spacer.

| Quote
dave lawrence dave lawrence
2/8/2018 11:22 AM
Bulletpup wrote:

Do you run them with ...more

Yep. I've reconfigured and fidgeted with everything, and without making them basically welded on tight, they have a little play.

I get the idea on the wedge system, but I will be going back to 48 spline to avoid the extra pieces to worry about come when I have spare $ for new cranks. I've never had issues I recall aside from a bolt slipping loose once in a while, which also has happened on the Twombolts before I cranked super hard on the bolt. Not a bad crank setup, but not my cup of tea.

It is what it is at this point. Just means I will get some fresh cranks and likely a fresh BB soonish.

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

| Quote
Bulletpup Bulletpup
2/8/2018 11:26 AM
dave lawrence wrote:

My Twombolts wobble like a ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Do you run them with ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Yep. I've reconfigured and ...more

What drive side are your thwombolts?

| Quote
Bulletpup Bulletpup
2/8/2018 11:55 AM
dave lawrence wrote:

My Twombolts wobble like a ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Do you run them with ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Yep. I've reconfigured and ...more

Is your bolt bottoming out? Could it possibly be a bit too long and thats why youre having to tighten them so much to get them to not wobble?

| Quote
eskimojay eskimojay
2/8/2018 12:02 PM

Get demolition rig cranks , if your worried about lifetime warrenty I’m pretty sure they have that too , but you wouldn’t need it , I hear they’re damn near impossible to break

| Quote
Edman123 Edman123
2/8/2018 1:08 PM
Bulletpup wrote:

Do you run them with ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Yep. I've reconfigured and ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Is your bolt bottoming ...more

Stop asking these questions he said he has looked at the cranks in every possible configuration. Just accept that these cranks have flaws too.

Hmmm

| Quote
Bulletpup Bulletpup
2/8/2018 1:24 PM
dave lawrence wrote:

Yep. I've reconfigured and ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Is your bolt bottoming ...more

Edman123 wrote:

Stop asking these ...more

Are you taking personal offense to me trying to help someone? All things in life have flaws, i am well aware. 12thou know when you are looking for your keys and they are in your pocket...sometimes the simple things are the hardest to see at times. This is probably not the case but I figure its best to see if he has checked rather than let it go by possibly unnoticed.

| Quote
HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
2/8/2018 1:27 PM
Bulletpup wrote:

If you are planning on ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

My Twombolts wobble like a ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Shitpost initiated

Called it




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


| Quote
btn
btn
1 of 2

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP