Related:
Create New Tag
bmxChuck bmxChuck
10/9/2016 3:59 PM

learning new tricks is hard for me.. like i have the biggest mental barrier of not doing it. Its not so much of worrying about getting hurt, obviously a little, but its not that. Like its completely a mental thing stopping me from trying new things..

Anyone know and tips or how to get around this?? thanks in advance

jake1125 jake1125
10/9/2016 5:46 PM

Sounds like symptoms of autism. You should see a doctor and check if you're autistic

bmxerday bmxerday
10/9/2016 5:49 PM

Dr. Ben Tingle wrote an article on how autism can affect you like you described http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/high-functioning-autism you can read this article to see

sXeBMXer sXeBMXer
10/9/2016 6:38 PM

for me, it was just actually wiping out the first few times. I used to ride MTB with a guy who would actually practice wrecking. he would practice how to "launch out of" certain situations. He taught me what to do to lessen the impact of crashes...off the sides of the bike...over the bars.

Sounds crazy, but we would practice wiping out in this one field that had long grass and some hills...maybe start some practice in a place like this so when you land it isn't on unforgiving concrete...

I have always compared it to skating since I also play hockey...if you don't fall, you don't learn how NOT to fall.

for BMX, it just starts with "small things"...right now I have numerous pedal strike marks on my shins and bruises on my legs and thighs from bailing out of bunny hops and jumps out of a quarter pipe etc. Every time I screw up, I am not only learning how to do the trick right, but also how to bail more effectively. It is about repping...and also about NOT tryign to learn tricks in the wrong order. Don't go right into 540 flare/tailwhip/bar spins...start with the fundamental/foundational moves: hops; manuals; jumps and landings off of smaller edges at first. Build up the tricks based on their fundamental component difficulty...

DEFINITELY wear a helmet though. I don't wear any other padding...never really have...but I never ride without a helmet. Even just to pop over to the store

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

TD_BMX_16 TD_BMX_16
10/9/2016 7:00 PM

I used to be nervous until I ride more and more and now it's like a second nature to bail safely and not get hurt as bad as I used to picture

blaaaaaaaaa blaaaaaaaaa
10/9/2016 9:37 PM

Bmx is more of a mental challenge for most people. The physical challenge is still very real but the mental side can be so much more brutal. There have been days where i have pussied out of trying something scary and it made me feel completely worthless. I hate myself when i give in to fear. What i try to do when i'm at a banger spot is look at it and take one run up to decide if i really want to do it, if i decide to do it then i take one or two more run ups to calculate my speed. Then i try to just force myself to do it no matter what. It doesn't work out all the time but having a rule to follow helps me get over my fear. I think i heard someone call this the jimmy levan rule? I can't remember where i first heard it though.

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

grumpySteve grumpySteve
10/10/2016 12:01 AM

I suffer this really badly, even more now that I'm getting old. I actually picture in my head how I'm going to fall and what my head is going to hit and all sorts of other shit. I usually just do a couple of really half arsed attempts just to see how/where I'm going to land. Then as soon as the first real attempt is done I realise it's not as bad as I thought. I've even fallen off a few times trying one thing and realised I'm not made me glass and carried on.
But to be fair, there's a lot of things I've wanted to try and ended up just walking away from. I'll never know if I could've done it. But I'm hoping I'll have a really good day, go back, and get it sent

Jackie Jackie
10/10/2016 5:19 AM

Go big or go home. Ride hard or ride home. Just beat the fear smile

Land it or go home

BNC BNC
10/10/2016 7:39 AM

It's really as simple as just doing it. You can try any method but nothing works better then going for it.

bmxChuck bmxChuck
10/10/2016 8:22 AM
jake1125 wrote:

Sounds like symptoms of ...more

HAHAHAHA I just died

Sean_Goff Sean_Goff
10/10/2016 8:39 AM

yeah bro. Take hold of your mind. Don't let it tell you what to do. I mean listen to reason and don't do things you know are guaranteed to put you in the ER, but even small failures also are big teachers so really just sit down and tell yourself that if others can do it, you can too, and you're gonna figure it out just like they did. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way. all of life is like that and conquering fears is also one of the best feelings ever and why people are so into it. Definitely worth it!

johnduff86 johnduff86
10/10/2016 11:10 AM

The biggest obstacle in bmx is being able to separate fear from ability. Knowing your limits is one thing, but procrastinating over something you know you can do is another thing. You just gotta do it. Take a couple runs to judge your speed and then just commit. For me, the key is to not over think it. Your body knows what to do, but when you start thinking too much that's when it screws things up.

Spenlard Spenlard
10/10/2016 10:03 PM
johnduff86 wrote:

The biggest obstacle in ...more

This if it's too damn big don't do it if you can do it and you know it yolo it once then you can keep doing it confidently, once you learn to bail properly it'll be way better

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

bmxfromma bmxfromma
10/11/2016 3:05 PM

ride drunk. seriously. i used to be a huge pussy about trying stuff till i went to the park at like 830pm after the sun went down, had a tall boy, got a bit tipsy, and ripped around. idk what it was but now that feeling of being scared is something i buzz off big time

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

dave lawrence dave lawrence
10/13/2016 3:33 PM

I try stuff close to what I want to do. If I want to bar something, I will do an Xup and then a small no hander. Then HUCK IT.

If I wanna 360 something, I 180 it first.

If I wanna do a nothing, I do a no footer first.

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals ยป

THE SHOP