Related:
Create New Tag
milozhinzbmx milozhinzbmx
4/10/2019 4:39 PM

Earlier today I was at a friends house after a session and I was borrowing his top cap because mine had gotten stripped out and I was tightening and all of a sudden it completely loosened. I tried to tighten it a few more times but I kept getting to a certain point and it would just give out. Then I tried adding more grease but that didn’t help. I’m pretty sure I put it all together right and I made sure to remember the compression ring for the bearing. What am I doing wrong, is there a good way to fix it or is my fork just screwed

SirCaseAlot SirCaseAlot
4/10/2019 5:43 PM

Sounds like maybe the threads have stripped, in the part that the top cap bolt screws in to?

If so that is replaceable, you don't need a new fork, you can replace just that part...it's got a funny name, it's called a "star fangled nut". Any bike shop should be able to help you. Or, there's heaps of DIY videos on how to do it on youtube if you search for star fangled nut. It's a bit like a bottom bracket, you hammer it out from the bottom of the fork steerer, and then tap a new one in from the top. Alternately you can also drill the old one out instead of hammering it out.

p1p1092 p1p1092
4/10/2019 7:01 PM

Pictures?

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

Mishinn_Control Mishinn_Control
4/10/2019 7:18 PM

Yeah. Sounds like you stripped the threads in the fork. For future reference, there's ZERO reason for ever stripping out the hex or the threads as there should never be that much forced used to snug the compression cap. Once snug, the stem bolts are used to hold the adjustment.

NateBrown62 NateBrown62
4/11/2019 8:12 AM

Does the compression bolt have the same thread size and pitch as the steerer on the fork?

dave lawrence dave lawrence
4/11/2019 8:39 AM

I hope you loosened your stem pinch bolts first, then tightened the compression cap, then tighten the pinch bolts.

I would bet the threads in your fork are toast. Pull the topcap off and look and see how they are.

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

readybmxer readybmxer
4/11/2019 12:42 PM
NateBrown62 wrote:

Does the compression bolt ...more

Yeah, this is important cuz if so, your forks are done for.

I’ve seen someone just hammer in a starnut through the stripped threads but idk how well that’ll work...

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

p1p1092 p1p1092
4/11/2019 1:10 PM
readybmxer wrote:

Yeah, this is important ...more

It works fine. The remainder of the threads will give the star nut a hell of a lot more grip than a fork designed for star nuts would have.

The odds of somehow stripping the fork, rather than the topcap, are slim to none...

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

Bulletpup Bulletpup
4/11/2019 8:38 PM
Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah. Sounds like you ...more

I always see people wrenching down on their top caps...I try to tell them otherwise but they refuse to listen..

.pegless. .pegless.
4/11/2019 9:03 PM
NateBrown62 wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

It works fine. The ...more

A guy I know stripped the thread in his bsd forks. He wouldn’t listen to me though and was adamant they must use a slightly different thread to every other forks ever made after trying several compression bolts, including a few bsd ones. You could physically feel the threads weren’t deep enough. But to be fair they were battered forks, and he’s a bit ham fisted when it comes to bike maintenance.

SirCaseAlot SirCaseAlot
4/11/2019 9:53 PM
p1p1092 wrote:

Good point, alloy threads on the top cap vs steel threads in the fork, almost certainly the top cap would have stripped first.

Mishinn_Control Mishinn_Control
4/12/2019 4:39 AM
Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah. Sounds like you ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

I always see people ...more

Well, we all learned lessons in this world. Some by listening, others the hard way. I'm guessing that this particular person (assuming the threads are stripped) won't have that happen again.

dave lawrence dave lawrence
4/12/2019 5:53 AM
NateBrown62 wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

I've done that and alternately gotten a bolt and a couple washers-one for the bottom of the crown and the other for over the stem-run the bolt through the whole steer tube. Worked great until that fork was replaced.

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

AaronMellien AaronMellien
4/12/2019 8:14 AM
NateBrown62 wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

It's not the topcap, when i put it back on my bike it worked fine. I think what was happening was the fork and topcap would creak and shit and then it would be loose again.

specialized 4 life specialized 4 life
4/14/2019 8:37 PM

TBH I've straight up lost my topcap and in a pinch I got a rubber mallet and tightened the stem untill it just barely slipped on the fork then hammered it the rest of the way but I wouldn't reccomend doing this as a permanent solution

_bmxican_ _bmxican_
11/15/2019 7:04 PM

My top cap is hard to tighten is this a problem I suspect dirt caused this but after cleaning it out the threatens are lightly like peeled and it’s a brand new fork too

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP