Related:
Create New Tag
Spongeworthy Spongeworthy
8/8/2018 4:23 AM
Spongeworthy wrote:

This thread doesn't seem ...more

WiteMic wrote:

LOL. Just a discussion ...more

I’ts quite entertaining. I have one question though, does anyone have an opinion on what “custom” means?

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

WiteMic WiteMic
8/8/2018 4:25 AM
Spongeworthy wrote:

This thread doesn't seem ...more

WiteMic wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

I’ts quite entertaining. I ...more

Like I said, I think there's different levels/meanings to it. It's also based on what the person wants. I more than the average custom.

Spongeworthy Spongeworthy
8/8/2018 4:30 AM
WiteMic wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

I’ts quite entertaining. I ...more

WiteMic wrote:

Like I said, I think ...more

Sorry, I was being facetious. I think at this point everyone’s opinions have been pretty firmly declared. I was just stirring the pot.

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

brandon..[markedivlife] brandon..[markedivlife]
8/8/2018 3:49 PM

This is the seat stay of a Laird frame that split completely at the weld from the seat tube. not even a year old and his reply was that he’ll re-weld it and send it back.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

pnj pnj
8/8/2018 5:23 PM

wow.

Honestly not surprised. His frames are light. He does have some heavy hitters on his frames though. No one is going to send themselves on a frame they don't trust.. And Mike can ride damn well too. So.. I dunno.

What were you doing that caused that break?

JPC JPC
8/8/2018 7:33 PM

None of these guys are fully custom. They all have limitations. S&M won't let you change the tubeset, FBM has limited TT and HT angles, Laird does what he does. I don't know of a builder that allows full customization.

I'd really like a pair of 8.5 inch 12/4 handlebars with the Race XLT tube set but... S&M won't do it. I don't know what Laird or FBM do for handlebars.

grumpySteve grumpySteve
8/9/2018 12:12 AM

Dictionary definition. Photo
I think we're both right, you modify the geometry of an existing frame by picking what you want, therefore it's a one off, custom. But four believes a custom has to be a bit more special and limitless. I get his point, but calling a custom s&m not custom just seems a bit silly and over thought. Imo (absolutely zero offence intended smile )

Fbm can only make 4 piece bars as they don't have a fancy tube bender. S&m will make pretty much anything you want if you call them (but it'll cost a poop ton). There's a couple of guys here in the UK that make anything you want, and bars are about £90. If you want light 8.5 rise bars, look at the make the damned bars, if you can find em. They're multi butted and feel real nice. I've got a pair sitting in my spares pile.

h8breedbmx h8breedbmx
8/9/2018 5:29 AM
brandon..[markedivlife] wrote:

This is the seat stay of a ...more

Hey Brandon nothing is indestructible, You can break any frame in the short amount time if it suffers excessive abuse. I usually offer a prorated discounts on frames break in under a year and I do not recall having this conversation with you about your frame. So can you please email me and I can look over the dates and maybe we can work something out. - Laird

JPC JPC
8/9/2018 5:47 AM
grumpySteve wrote:

Dictionary definition.
I ...more

I totally agree. They’re all clearly custom with some limitation due to their production capabilities.

I also don’t think S&M is particularly unreasonable in price. Of course, I’m an adult with a job so $600 isn’t much more than two trips to the supermarket.

If I spec what I’d like from FBM it’s over $750. Since I live in Ithaca I might swing by the shop and see what’s what in person, but an off the shelf S&M is hard to beat for me.

Four Four
8/9/2018 3:29 PM
grumpySteve wrote:

Dictionary definition.
I ...more

Yes, to each their own. I dont see them as custom. The angles are the ones selected from the list so technically it's a one off version of THAT frame and seems limited. But everyone is entitled to view it as they want. All frames are generally the same shit apart from angles anyways

45 refs and counting check profile.

WiteMic WiteMic
8/9/2018 5:34 PM

UPDATE: Ordered my Laird. Mike is a great fucking guy. He's even putting chain tensioners on it. Loved the fact that I'm dedicating it to Joe Tiseo.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

eskimojay eskimojay
8/9/2018 6:06 PM

So who here has actually had a custom frame ? I had a custom S&M Chrome LTF and it lasted me 5 years , it was an awesome frame

grumpySteve grumpySteve
8/10/2018 12:22 AM
eskimojay wrote:

So who here has actually ...more

My custom fbm is over 18 months old now and I still love it. I might be buying a second hand atf so I can put a brake on for the trails though

WiteMic WiteMic
8/14/2018 3:19 AM

To everyone that ordered a Laird, how long did it take to get to you? It says 8 weeks on the site but it pop up earlier than that? I'm not in a rush or anything. I just like knowing when my mail is coming.

pnj pnj
8/14/2018 6:21 AM

I don't know anyone that has gotten custom frames from any builder, in a short time turn around.

But shoot him an email and see what his time frame is.

If you don't follow him on instagram , i suggest it. Gives you some insight on what he's currently working on, etc..

grumpySteve grumpySteve
8/14/2018 7:22 AM

Turn around with fbm is 6 weeks, mine was shipped in 4, but because it was shipped around Christmas time, and had to go through customs, it took 2 weeks to get to me.
It probably all depends how much work he's got on at the time

Papi Dan Papi Dan
8/14/2018 7:36 AM

If what you're looking for in a frame includes whatever geometry you want,go with Laird.I was looking for someone to build me a frame with a 76.5 headtube angle and a 11 1/8" bb height and FBM,Standard or S&M would give me limited options.Laird even gives you the choice to choose between butted and straight gauged tubing for the front triangle.From what I read,he's even working with a type of material that's stronger than the super therm tubing most manufacturers use

Papi Dan Papi Dan
8/14/2018 7:39 AM
WiteMic wrote:

UPDATE: Ordered my Laird. ...more

Joe will always be the man

grumpySteve grumpySteve
8/14/2018 8:11 AM
Papi Dan wrote:

If what you're looking for ...more

I'm sure any frame builder will do those things if you asked.
And true temper (the manufacturer of super therm) no longer make bike tubes. Laird, s&m and standard all use thermlx tubes now. And fbm use double butted 4130 as standard with straight gauge as an option, and thermlx as an option for extra cost.

TheDarkEnergist TheDarkEnergist
8/14/2018 8:18 AM
eskimojay wrote:

Had one for like 24 hours. It looked nice.

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

HondaCRFRacer HondaCRFRacer
8/14/2018 9:33 AM
eskimojay wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Had one for like 24 hours. ...more

laughinglaughinglaughing

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

WiteMic WiteMic
8/14/2018 12:18 PM
pnj wrote:

I don't know anyone that ...more

I follow him in IG and it's the biggest dick tease. Lol. Everytime he posts a frame I get hyped as fuck. I'm not about to bother him though. I don't want to be that annoying guy asking about the frame.

TheDarkEnergist TheDarkEnergist
8/14/2018 12:27 PM
WiteMic wrote:

I follow him in IG and ...more

Just as a warning, that was me too. Don't get excited until you get your tracking #. laughing I know that feeling all too well.

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

lethal_bmx lethal_bmx
8/15/2018 9:14 AM

Just throwing the brand Stout into the mix. Matt welded my custom frame and fork. His prices are a little better than Laird and his work is just as good. He also welds for Indust bikes. I've had issues with bending S&M forks and after 3 years of use, my Stout forks are still holding strong. I will be getting another custom frame by the end of this year so I can have 2 custom 22" bikes. Stout Bikes Homepage

Sean_Goff Sean_Goff
8/16/2018 2:24 PM
WiteMic wrote:

I have finally decided to ...more

Laird frames all come with integrated seat clamps. I got a frame from him and have nothing bad to say about it. Light, on point, strong, reasonably priced and he's easy to work with. I messaged with him directly while working out the seatstay bridge design and got what i was hoping for. Definitely reccomend him.

WiteMic WiteMic
8/17/2018 3:43 PM
WiteMic wrote:

I have finally decided to ...more

Sean_Goff wrote:

Laird frames all come with ...more

I found out about the seat clamp when I saw all his pics. LOL. But I'm hyped for my shit. I hate getting rid of the Skapegoat so fast but my Tiseo frame needs to be put to good use.

pnj pnj
8/17/2018 3:52 PM

Laird can and does make frames with no integrated seat clamp...

I've seen 'em

Papi Dan Papi Dan
8/19/2018 6:20 AM
Papi Dan wrote:

If what you're looking for ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm sure any frame builder ...more

They won't.At least not 3 years ago when I was doing my research and if they do now they're either going to charge a big extra or come up with some bullshit excuse such as "76.5 degrees is not safe" or "I suggest you check everything that's in the market so you're 100% sure this is what you want" and my time and money is worth more than bullshit excuses.Not to mention I'm absolutely NOT going to pay a cent above the mentioned price for a custom frame, regardless of the builder if I can't get what I want,exactly as I want it.Mike doesn't ask questions or adds suggestions to make you second guess yourself regarding what you want and to me that earns more respect than being a brand with longer time in the business under its belt

Rabbe Rabbe
8/19/2018 6:38 AM

I gotta say I respect anyone with the balls to tell a customer that what they want might not work properly, even with the risk of the customer taking his/her money somewhere else. At the end of the day, you'll need to put your name on the product so it's better to make products you want to put your name on. Especially when there are loads of people that first want something and then blame someone else for not telling them it isn't a good idea.

Not saying what you had in mind was bad geo or anything, just a general thought that crossed my mind

btn
btn
4 of 4

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP