Related:
Create New Tag
John_Blizzard John_Blizzard
8/26/2011 11:55 AM

I have been running about 80psi in my back tire, i started doing big gaps and sets. Ever since i have had troubles where i go ride in the morning in pretty much ride home with barely any pressure. Any ideas as to what the hells going on?shocked wassat

bmx isn't a sport....IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Austin_Read Austin_Read
8/26/2011 11:59 AM

Make sure you put a the valve caps on, otherwise air can leak out the valve stem when you case really hard. I had the same problem and valve caps fixed it.

Swoop it motherfuckas

gtbikes gtbikes
8/26/2011 12:06 PM

pinch in the tube?

Just ride and stop being a DICK to the new kids

COLORADO SPRINGS COLORADO SPRINGS
8/26/2011 12:09 PM

Take your tube out, pump it up. Fill your tub with water and put the tube under water. You can see any air leakage. Bang!

Whatever Whatever
8/26/2011 12:10 PM
Austin_Read wrote:

Make sure you put a the ...more

I doubt very much cause caps are mainly supposed to keep the dirt off

An Op, nice display pic LOL

"man that woman could buckle a train track just by looking at it" - Euan on Susan Boyle

Austin_Read Austin_Read
8/26/2011 12:27 PM
Austin_Read wrote:

Whatever wrote:

I doubt very much cause ...more

No air actualy can leak out of the valve stem, why do you think it is you pump up your tire to say 100 psi then a few days or a week later you have to put some more pressure in? I use to loose like 30 psi every week or so before i left my caps on nice and snug.

Swoop it motherfuckas

8/26/2011 12:38 PM
Austin_Read wrote:

My caps are on solid, i have done the inflate than put under water but theres no leak, the tires are glass free too. I am running a wtp feelin 2.10, thats why im stumped as to whats going on. *i feel like a nub* unsure

abreezy111 abreezy111
8/26/2011 12:58 PM
Austin_Read wrote:

Whatever wrote:

Austin_Read wrote:

No air actualy can leak ...more

epic FAIL.

air can leak out of your valve stem, but it has absolutely nothing to do with caps or not. The valve core inside the stem is what allows are to leak out. It can be screwed in and out and if it is loose it will leak.

But 9 times out of 10 that is not the case.

The reason your tire pressure fluctuates a couple days later is because air becomes more or less dense with its environment......

meaning that if it gets hotter or colder outside the tire pressure can go up or down

"The ratio of hours of building and maintaining trails is astronomically skewed in the wrong direction, but the pay off is indescribably worth it."

abreezy111 abreezy111
8/26/2011 1:01 PM
Austin_Read wrote:

John_Blizzard wrote:

My caps are on solid, i ...more

to help address your problem I would try just going a head and changing the tube even if it is not 100% needed. If it starts to happen again try running a different tire.

some times tires can get small nics or slices inside the tire that can pinch the tube while riding

"The ratio of hours of building and maintaining trails is astronomically skewed in the wrong direction, but the pay off is indescribably worth it."

Austin_Read Austin_Read
8/26/2011 1:32 PM
Whatever wrote:

Austin_Read wrote:

abreezy111 wrote:

epic FAIL.

air can leak ...more

Um, yes your right about that, a gas at constant pressure, temperature increase or decrease will increase or decrease its volume. (Charle's Gas Law). But if it is in fact the valve core inside the stem where your loosing pressure then putting a sealable cap on will also keep the air in..... And you cant tell me the whether can account for 30 psi+ of fluctuation. When it gets hotter the air molecules DO heat up and therefore move faster hitting the inner tube a greater speed thereby creating more pressure as you described, but 10-15 degrees of everyday heat change is NOT going to make THAT much of a difference. It may fluctuate 5-10 degrees but i cant see any more then that.

There is no reason to treat other people like they are stupid, im glad your not digging trails with us in socal im sure we would all get tired of your self righteous attitude .

goodday

Swoop it motherfuckas

8/26/2011 1:51 PM
Austin_Read wrote:

Um, yes your right about ...more

*hi-five* but none the less this still hasnt helped the issue lol theres no air leak i switched the tube twice now and its the same process. The has no slices or gouges deep enough to make a hole in the tube.

Austin_Read Austin_Read
8/26/2011 2:20 PM

Make sure you have a good rim linner and make sure there are no holes from the rim showing through or you can be geting pinch flats. If you use electric tape for a rimstripe be sure to use like 3 layers of it you want to get some solid pretection between the rim and the tube.

Swoop it motherfuckas

8/26/2011 2:49 PM
Austin_Read wrote:

Make sure you have a good ...more

i have stolen revolver rims with the stock liner in them

abreezy111 abreezy111
8/26/2011 2:49 PM
Austin_Read wrote:

valve caps are not air tight, they are not going to stop air loss.

and I am not going to disagree with you that that much air loss is not from temp change. just saying a valve cap isnt the problem here.

p.s. cool attempt at a burn. glad you got butt hurt.

Shakesman69 Shakesman69
8/26/2011 2:50 PM
Austin_Read wrote:

abreezy111 wrote:

epic FAIL.

air can leak ...more

Austin_Read wrote:

The valve cap isn't gunna push the air back into your tube either.

I have a feeling you've got something really little that's putting a nick in your tubes from your tyres, or you have a spoke poking through or a sharp part on your rim. I suggest trying a new tyres, honestly. My ruben was super thin, down to threads and had little shards of glass in it. Couldnt find punctures in the tubes (even putting it underwater), it just went down very quickly. Got a new tyre, problem solved.

And about your gas law stuff manggg, if he's putting more air into the tyres, then when the temperature rises, there will be a much greater increase in pressure, than if there was a smaller amount of air in the tyres.
So if he was running 40psi, and it went up 5 degrees, and the pressure changed to 50psi
Than if he was running 80psi, and it went up 5 degrees, it would go up to something around 100psi
If he is putting the air in his tubes at a high temperature, then it would be decreasing by the end of the day as well.

But that all should honestly affect nothing. His tubes are getting punctured, and if he's jumping 'big gaps and sets' with low pressure in his tyres, its more than likely he has a pinch flat.

abreezy111 abreezy111
8/26/2011 2:55 PM
John_Blizzard wrote:

i have stolen revolver ...more

new rim liner or good layers of electrical tape could help as all ready stated. Also once you have a fresh tube in there try running a higher pressure, maybe 90-100.

brentrides brentrides
8/26/2011 3:38 PM

just keep pumping it up everyday
it could be the air molecules leaking out of the pores of the rubber that makes up the tube
after all molecules are tiny as fuck haha

ferthebirdz wrote: my pegs are called cranks..

8/26/2011 4:06 PM
abreezy111 wrote:

new rim liner or good ...more

see thats the thing its a brand new tube the liner was fine and i run about 80psi in general

8/26/2011 4:10 PM
Shakesman69 wrote:

The valve cap isn't gunna ...more

The treads on my tire are fine, theres absolutely nothing stuck in my tire, its not a pinch flat its fine all day even when im just coaxing around it happens. Its not like i am running 40lbs or something I am pushing 80psi typical or more

abreezy111 abreezy111
8/26/2011 4:39 PM
John_Blizzard wrote:

The treads on my tire are ...more

cant remember if it has been answered yet so sorry if this is redundant.

1)Did you check the inside if the tire for any thing at all? I the same situation that you are in now like 2 years ago and ended up replacing the tire and it solved the problem. I also could not physically see anything wrong with the tire.

2)check your rim for any nics that could cause flats.

also another possible cheap solutions. run two rim strips

8/26/2011 6:45 PM
abreezy111 wrote:

cant remember if it has ...more

1) i checked it all ran a piece of paper to see if it got a nic at any one point and nothing. The rim is smooth all around, the tire is still in good condition.
I thought about the two strips but i see no need in it since the strip is in perfect condition no faults anywhere

kikcer2 kikcer2
8/26/2011 6:51 PM

crazy idea. check your valve. make sure its screwed in all the way.

8/26/2011 10:26 PM
kikcer2 wrote:

crazy idea. check your ...more

lol i have done that like 3 times its as tight as can be

abreezy111 abreezy111
8/27/2011 7:28 AM
John_Blizzard wrote:

1) i checked it all ran a ...more

if you dont try swapping out small things like rim strips or the tire you wont reach a solution, you'll just stay where you are. Many times the things that cause flats you cant see physically. It has happened to me in the past

Warchol2 Warchol2
8/27/2011 7:42 AM

maybe you leave it in your car for long periods of time? everyone is talking about temp and 5 degree difference not dooing anything, but never thought about how hot cars can get, so if u leave it in your car....

Refs: 36 + (i forgot a few)!! ScramHype (x2) , TCbmx.(x4), Ecuadevil (x3), Lee Rager (please dont delete me) x3, Futurefbm, genisis,netti spagetti, carjakester,BMX-\1995/, showtime402 (x2), 562_Rider , SuperstarDk (x2), Kurt4413, Joe green (x2), Dee hos, Spenlard,roqfan,Stolen Cherry, ninjacat33, Broughton, also local deals with Droogskull, and jbeaton13

8/27/2011 6:49 PM
abreezy111 wrote:

if you dont try swapping ...more

i found the issue, i went to my cousins workshop and he has a super strong magnet and it pull a mad tiny metal sliver. I would have never been able to spot it on my own

8/27/2011 6:50 PM
Warchol2 wrote:

maybe you leave it in your ...more

if i wasnt 16 and jobless i would have a license/truck haha, but aside from that the problem was solved

Effting Effting
8/27/2011 6:57 PM
brentrides wrote:

just keep pumping it up ...more

The OP won't be able to comprehend this.... pumping everyday would take to much work

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy

8/27/2011 7:13 PM
Effting wrote:

The OP won't be able to ...more

try the last time i did that with tire i got an exploding tire at 2am, im not a dimwit

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals ยป

THE SHOP