Related:
Create New Tag
whats_his_face whats_his_face
5/17/2014 4:29 PM

Hey! I want to get back into BMX again, but it's been a few years. So, I'm pretty sure a lot of people have posted this same question, but I don't know whether to buy a complete bike or build one from the ground--up. It'll be six months to a year before I can start riding again (long story), so I have plenty of time. I've looked around, and I can get United or Sunday bikes for like $350-400-ish, but I would assume custom is better. I would like a freestyle, street/park bike. I have no idea where to start, so I'd like your input. Thanks!!

(Edit)
Hey, I've been busy the past couple weeks, that's why I haven't kept up with this. Thanks to everyone for your opinions!

GTzone720 GTzone720
5/17/2014 5:34 PM

so you are deciding between 2 options:

Custom/build your own - probably really expensive, like $600-$1000 or more. It will freaking rule though, cuz its fully custom, just to your liking. Plus you probably are going to buy nice parts for it that'll last. But it will take some time to put together and requires a healthy bank account. But time you have lots of....

Complete bikes - Come with just about all you really need to get out there and riding quickly. as parts break, you replace them as you go with nicer stuff that you want.. If you can find a complete bike that is up to par with your personal specs, you'll end up saving way more money in the long run and have way less work to do...

So my question to you is, how much money are you REALLY willing to spend? lol like, are you cool with dropping $1000 on something you are just getting back into again?
And I see you said you wanted to do freestyle, street park... But do you know what size tube top you'd be comfortable on?

KrisnerBMX KrisnerBMX
5/17/2014 5:40 PM
GTzone720 wrote:

so you are deciding ...more

you wont save more money in the long term.. you will save money in the short term. in the long term you pay more... Because you will ussually end up with a full custom but you also have to tack the cost of the original bike on to the final price too...

5/17/2014 5:55 PM
GTzone720 wrote:

so you are deciding ...more

Not really sure. I was thinking 20.75 or 21.5. I'm an inch or two under 6 foot & I'm only like 150 lbs, so would that be good?

blaaaaaaaaa blaaaaaaaaa
5/17/2014 5:57 PM
whats_his_face wrote:

Not really sure. I was ...more

I'm 5'10" and ride a 20.75". It feels perfect.

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

GTzone720 GTzone720
5/17/2014 8:09 PM

Id say 20.75-21" man. I ride a 20.25, and im 5'7 and i like it a lot. @krisnerbmx. I can kind of see what you mean... cool perspective. I bought a decent complete and im happy i did cuz im not very good atm but the frame specs were perfect for me, same with the forks, bars etc. I spent $250 on the bike, and it has almost everything i wanted on it. so in the long run, i bought a pretty dope bike that i can pimp out along the way.im all about custom bmx but if i can fuse custom with affordability in all about it.

T-rider T-rider
5/17/2014 11:43 PM

What bike?^

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

5/18/2014 6:52 AM
T-rider wrote:

What bike?^

I don't know. I was thinking probably a United or Sunday. I hear a lot of good about those. Any suggestions?

GTzone720 GTzone720
5/18/2014 8:31 AM

I couldn't really help you at suggesting which would be a good bike, you kind of need to go on like danscomp and check out ALL of them, read the specs for ALL of the completes, so you have an idea of what you want. I think you can click view all bikes and search by top tube length on that site, set it to like 20.75-21" and start researching lol... Sounds like you may have a good amount of time to do a little research and figure out whats good for you. If you go with a complete, try to get a bike with fully sealed hubs, bottom bracket, etc. Sealed bearings pwn. I hear good things about sunday though for sure man... good luck on ur quest dude!

Fbmbmxer22 Fbmbmxer22
5/18/2014 9:14 AM
T-rider wrote:

What bike?^

whats_his_face wrote:

I don't know. I was ...more

yes my suggestions is dont listen to these punks becasue they dont nothing they will make you spend more of money that is out of budget. My suggestion is buy the bike you want if you want a sunday or untited thenn buy it. it your freaking money not theres the key is buy a bike that has full chomo double walls sealed hubs etc or go to crigslist. so just buy a bike you like dont ask other people want to buy it your money.

ironmaiden666 ironmaiden666
5/18/2014 10:02 AM
Fbmbmxer22 wrote:

yes my suggestions is dont ...more

For some people money isn't an issue and they'd rather buy the best part that will last them the longest. I'm not even a good rider but I won't settle for riding around on a crappy bike because I want to be proud of what I've built. Correct me if i'm wrong, but Whats_his_face doesn't sound like a young kid with a budget if he's just coming back after some years off and a lot can change in bmx over a few years so he's ASKING for some tips and people are giving them to him. For instance: some years companies offer really sick completes, other years you're better off building up a custom. Like the 2008 kink apex came with so many odyssey and kink after market parts it was unreal so I would've recommended that over buying a custom any day...point being things change and brand quality changes so it's better to get some tips than to just "buy what you like" without knowing anything about what you're buying. Most the good companies have a couple really nice completes in the $650-$1000 range. Check some of them out and take note of the components they use and that should give you an idea of what to look for and if you like what they offer, go for one of them. If not, then go full custom and plan on spending a little more. Sorry that was long-winded. Welcome back to bmx!

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

T-rider T-rider
5/18/2014 10:05 AM
T-rider wrote:

What bike?^

whats_his_face wrote:

I was asking the guy that posted something above hahaha.

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

T-rider T-rider
5/18/2014 10:07 AM
Fbmbmxer22 wrote:

Has someone pointed someone with a gun and told him/her to buy x bike? No sir, everyone do their own things, what they want. We are not punk kinds (maybe a few members are idk). He is asking for advice man, if you know anything and have nothing cool to say gtfo.

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

5/18/2014 10:36 AM
T-rider wrote:

I was asking the guy that ...more

Oh, lol. Okay.

5/18/2014 10:39 AM
GTzone720 wrote:

I couldn't really help you ...more

Thanks. I'll take a look there & do some research.

Xxohioanxx Xxohioanxx
5/18/2014 10:42 AM

Customs will be over $1200 for a good one. I've spent over $2k on my new build so far, but that's with a kinda "special" frame, quite a few titanium bits, and the absolute best wheels I could buy.

Higher end Sunday completes are REALLY good. The parts on the Soundwave complete would cost over $1500 if you bought them separately. And the frame, fork, and cranks have a lifetime warranty against breaking, bending, cracking, etc. Not too bad for $1000 if you ask me.

Other than that, anything that is full chromo, fully sealed bearings all around, and double wall rims will be fine to start with.

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

GTzone720 GTzone720
5/18/2014 11:01 AM
T-rider wrote:

What bike?^

whats_his_face wrote:

Fbmbmxer22 wrote:

Dude, you are one sour little poster. I see your thread "my vitalbmx rant" about other people asking for peoples opinions on what other bikes to buy, and how much of a little snob you are being about the whole situation. If you don't like something, then ignore it. lol No one likes a negative Nancy..

To the OP, Fbmbmxer brought up a good point. While you are looking for completes make sure bearings are all sealed for hubs and bb, your top tube is the right size, and if you can find them, double wall rims are always a plus on a complete. If you plan on running breaks, make sure it at least has gyro tabs if it doesn't come with a gyro set up, so you can do bar spins... You just gotta kinda look at every bike you can man and check out each additional feature, then cross eliminate the ones you don't like until you find the right bike for you!

And T-rider, if you are asking me what bike I have, it's nothing special but to me its really nice. It's a GT zone 2013 Cool Grey, I think it retailed at like $330, but since its 2014 I picked this baby up at $250.00 plus tax. It has a sealed bottom bracket, semi sealed rear hub (which is okay will upgrade to fully sealed when this one dies out.) and unsealed front hub (which once again will upgrade to sealed once it dies out.) It weighs like a little over 24 pounds tho, its pretty light... Soon I'll take the rear brake off and cut the handlebar length like half an inch on each side and I should be bar spinning pretty decently.

T-rider T-rider
5/18/2014 11:15 AM

^
I wouldnt say its that dope, but if it works for you its cool. It also depends on how much someone weights...

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

GTzone720 GTzone720
5/18/2014 11:20 AM

Yeah man I'm 5'7 140pounds, and switched to this from a 32pound mongoose 19.5tt walmart complete. So to me, this bike is def pretty dope lol especially for its price category, its not bad at all man.

5/18/2014 9:36 PM
ironmaiden666 wrote:

For some people money ...more

So, in your opinion, what would you consider to be "good companies" then? That's kinda where I'm stuck, I'm not sure which are the top few quality for a decent price.

5/18/2014 9:39 PM
Xxohioanxx wrote:

Customs will be over $1200 ...more

What's the average price for higher end Sundays? And what models do you think to be higher end, just to check.

ironmaiden666 ironmaiden666
5/19/2014 7:22 AM
whats_his_face wrote:

So, in your opinion, what ...more

For completes I've had good luck with Fit and Kink...for Fit the Wifi is a really nice complete. I just got the Benny Sig and love it. That's a bit more reasonable cost than the Wifi and I haven't had to upgrade much. Wethepeople also has some good completes but I have no personal experience just hear a lot of good things.
For the custom route frames you could go with FBM or Bonedeth if you wanna go all out and any parts from Odyssey, Animal, & G-sport most people on here all manage to agree on.

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

dave lawrence dave lawrence
5/19/2014 8:09 AM
Fbmbmxer22 wrote:

Funny part is, you wouldn't have suggested the sealed bearings, double wall rims and chromoly if I hadn't put that in your whining thread before.

Honestly just stop being such a bitch. Not everyone on here is a "punk". I'm starting to think you are pissed because no one is listening to you, and because you think you know everything in BMX. You act like no one on here knows anything, but you don't bring a DAMN THING to the table besides whining. I can also tell you think BMX is ONLY the version you prefer, and I can also tell that you would bash someone for having something on their bike you don't.

To the OP, Double wall rims, Sealed bearings and as much chromoly as you can. Outside of that, find something you like.

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

tecnic1 tecnic1
5/20/2014 6:03 PM

Fit completes are a really good value.

ChrisWilmshurst ChrisWilmshurst
5/21/2014 1:29 AM

If you felt you had a decent level of skill I would opt for a build. If not, buy a complete

6/4/2014 8:06 AM

Alright, sorry, I meant to get back to this sooner, but I have been unbelievably busy the past couple weeks. Thanks to everyone for your opinions! I'll probably go with a complete. I haven't decided which bike yet.

6/4/2014 8:19 AM
ChrisWilmshurst wrote:

If you felt you had a ...more

It's been awhile, and I'm in recovery from surgery. Sooo, I'm not sure how good I'll be when I get the chance. I'll probably go complete. (Sorry it took so long to get on this again. Busy!)

6/4/2014 8:21 AM
dave lawrence wrote:

Funny part is, you ...more

Okay, thanks!! (Sorry took so long to get on here again, Busy!)

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP