Related:
Create New Tag
georgebooky georgebooky
2/22/2018 5:34 AM

When I ride off ledges or steps and land even into transition so not that hard of a landing, my bars slip, I have to undo the stem then straighten them and tighten it again, this happens almost every time,

Do I buy a new stem ? New bars ? Or what ?

Aitkenisgod Aitkenisgod
2/22/2018 5:45 AM

First I would take it apart and make sure the clamping area on the bars and stem are clean, then stick it all back together and tighten it up as much as you can without threading the bolts.

If it keeps happening then you need to get a new stem.

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

Bulletpup Bulletpup
2/22/2018 6:22 AM
Aitkenisgod wrote:

First I would take it ...more

Ya, dont strip out the threads. Chances are the steel bolts will win against the aluminum body! Lol

But I agree.

What tool are you using to tighten the bolts?

georgebooky georgebooky
2/22/2018 6:39 AM
Bulletpup wrote:

Ya, dont strip out the ...more

Literally just an Allen key set ....

HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
2/22/2018 7:17 AM

Clean the clamping surface of your bars and stem. Often times, small metal shavings will collect in there and cause the bars to slip non stop. Then tighten your bolts in an X-pattern.

If that doesn't help, it's time for a new stem or bars. Make sure your bars aren't crushed at the clamping area.

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

Bulletpup Bulletpup
2/22/2018 9:24 PM
Aitkenisgod wrote:

First I would take it ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Ya, dont strip out the ...more

georgebooky wrote:

Literally just an Allen ...more

Like on a multitool or the individuals?

Sometimes it helps to get a bit extra torque from a tool with a handle. When I use the individual keys I tighten the stem bolts as much as I can until my hand hurts.

grumpySteve grumpySteve
2/22/2018 10:47 PM

Could be your bars. If they're slightly crushed they'll slip easier. It's worth doing all if the above first though

p1p1092 p1p1092
2/23/2018 3:41 AM

Make sure that the faceplate is sitting parallel to the body; if it's not, your bars will slip very easily

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

McPikie McPikie
2/23/2018 4:33 AM

Might be worth giving your bars a light sanding on the area the stem grips?

DanTheBikerMan DanTheBikerMan
2/23/2018 8:38 AM
McPikie wrote:

Might be worth giving your ...more

if you do this, make sure it’s a very light sanding! knurling will come off very easily if sanded vigorously.

make sure your bars aren’t crushed, and if they are, buy new bars.

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

nocoast nocoast
2/23/2018 9:24 AM

tighten in X pattern

STREETFIGHTER50 STREETFIGHTER50
2/23/2018 9:29 AM
michael.eckhart michael.eckhart
2/24/2018 6:17 PM
georgebooky wrote:

When I ride off ledges or ...more

What stem and what bars do you have. Or post a picture with it taken apart.

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP