Related:
Create New Tag
sk8termatt sk8termatt
4/23/2013 7:34 PM

I made a thread about spray painting my handlebars a couple weeks ago, and I have pretty much finished them, but I still need to spray the clear on them. Someone asked me for some pictures, so heres you go! During the process I thought it would be really simple and easy, but I was a little too confident. While spraying the primer It started to drips so I had to sand them down and restart. I then decided it was a good idea to spray from fairly far away and do very light coats. This was very stupid because the bars ended up looking very grainy, they felt like sandpaper, and just looked bad. I had to re-sand my bars almost down to the primer to make sure it was fairly smooth. I bought a new can of spray paint and was determined not to mess up a third time. I spray a solid wet coat which looked very nice, yet it still looked a tiny bit grainy from before in some spots... But two coats later and I had finished it looks amazing! Much better than when it was grainy, its a lot smoother, and shiny! I still need to spray some clear coat on it once I get a good day (so much rain!) but I cant wait to ride with them! Some tips for first time sprayers is follow the tutorials exactly. Don't spray too close, or too far. Don't spray too much or too little. Thats what I've learned from my experience. Photo
Photo

Photo

andyferly andyferly
4/24/2013 5:21 AM

Looks nice!
The part where the bars fix on the stem seems a little messy though.

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

sk8termatt sk8termatt
4/24/2013 5:48 AM

Oh thats because I put tape there to protect the ridges from being painted so it doesn't affect how the bars stick to the stem.

DORBmx DORBmx
4/24/2013 11:13 AM

looking good, I did the same thing to mine, but I did metal flake blue, looks good though good job

Be careful though, even with four coats of clear coat I still chip the paint fairly easily :/

"Faster, Faster, Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" -Thompson
Save a tree, Ride a bike
Old Man.Bicycle.Friends - the most important thing in life.

Refs- Jetzy72-DMD-noendinsight666-ninjacat33-SuperstarDK-Skids007-Genesis-Four-Future FBM-mserno75-blueep3piece

sk8termatt sk8termatt
4/24/2013 1:03 PM

I made a fairly thick coat of paint, and I still need to apply the clear, so I hope it won't chip too easily.

andyferly andyferly
4/24/2013 2:12 PM
sk8termatt wrote:

I made a fairly thick coat ...more

Wait you only gave it one coat?
I'm not sure how that is going to work for you.

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

sk8termatt sk8termatt
4/24/2013 3:22 PM
sk8termatt wrote:

I made a fairly thick coat ...more

andyferly wrote:

Wait you only gave it one ...more

No I gave it about 4 coats, I just meant that since I did 4 coats the paint will be fairly thick

sk8termatt sk8termatt
4/24/2013 3:25 PM

If I only gave it 1 coat it would not have fully covered the bars, and I probably would have had runs if I tried to make it thick...

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP