Related:
Create New Tag
Koi Fish Enthusiast
4/7/2019 5:11 PM

This is my first sprained ankle and probably not the last. So, I sprained my ankle and damaged my foot pretty good like a month ish ago. The ankle sprain wasn't that bad, just some stretched tendons and the foot wasn't fractured. I tried to take it easy for the first two weeks and on the third week it started to feel really good.. even on the bike. I started to ride and what not, but still a little wary because I've heard of life time rolling ankles because they didn't treat it right. I went to a massagist a couple days ago because I was just made to go and I told him about the ankle. He told me I needed an ankle brace and gave me a scare about the life rolling ankle problem, because I really was not babying the ankle as much as needed. Anyways, I got the brace and was told that I need to wear it for ANOTHER month. Would I screw myself up if I just started to ride with the brace?

Gone Fishing

XxCAKEWOLFxX
4/7/2019 5:21 PM

Fuck the brace dude, honestly. Sprained the hell out of my ankle on a skateboard and did the brace thing and it just got progressively weakee. To the point of coming out of socket in the shower for no reason. The brace is too supportive and doesnt allow a full range of motion.

What finally fixed it and I havent had another sprain since was putting my toes on a curb and doing calf raises. Bring your heels down enough that they touch the road, but there is no weight on them. When this becomes easy, just hold some weights. My ankles could probably block cannonballs from the british now

Koi Fish Enthusiast
4/7/2019 5:48 PM
XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

Fuck the brace dude, ...more

Yea but I'm not even healed up all the way yet.. My ankle is still swollen after a month and I don't have full flexibility. I know not to wear it when I'm healed in order to prevent ankle rolls, but is it bad to wear it while healing and riding?

Gone Fishing

p1p1092
4/7/2019 5:54 PM
Koi Fish Enthusiast wrote:

Yea but I'm not even ...more

Unless it's a repeat injury, I'd avoid it. Repeat injuries are best dealt with by using a brace when you're really at risk of injuring it again, and doing a shitload of physio exercises. In your case, I'd say you'll get away with just the physio exercises and some stretches, but take it easy all the same. The problem with braces is that you very quickly develop a dependency on them and if you wear one for a while, your ankle will not be able to support itself in bad situations.

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

orangebmx907
4/7/2019 6:45 PM

Just listen to the person rather than possibly suffering from your ankle for the rest of your life. 1 month isn’t bad

XxCAKEWOLFxX
4/7/2019 7:04 PM
XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

Fuck the brace dude, ...more

Koi Fish Enthusiast wrote:

Yea but I'm not even ...more

The healing period is honestly when its most important to avoid the brace. You want it to heal back stronger. With the brace on, you will only heal what the brace doesnt support. Its a trap dude. I went to school for orthopedic surgery and abandoned my residency when I realized that nothing is about actually helping people.

Brandon9412
9/12/2019 6:27 AM

A severe sprain does have the chance to leave you more prone to more sprains in the future. I had a couple bad sprains on my right ankle when I was a kid, probably around the age of 15. Fast forward to now, I’m 25 years old and I’m currently injured from a bad sprain I got earlier this week on the same ankle. I’m actually conscious of my health now, unlike when I was a kid, and I’m thinking when I heal and get my mobility back I’m going to do exercises with bands to try to strengthen my ankle tendons. Definitely sucks. I just got a new bike built and now I’m going to be out of the game for a while

BillyBigRigger
9/12/2019 6:45 AM

Sprained: ice and ibuprofen Ftw. I’ve had my share over the years. Some sprains have lingered for months, where other are gone in 3 to 4 weeks. At one point in my life I almost just got used to having a constantly hurting ankle. Its a bummer and really a de-motivator..... I hope you get it sorted out. I never did the ankle brace too much. Just ice and ibuprofen. It will heal and you’ll be moving along one day and POOF realize it doesn’t hurt anymore.

SlavBMX
9/13/2019 10:12 AM

Bumped thread :/

The guy who never rides because he breaks something all the time.

buttmeate
9/13/2019 10:17 AM

walk around really funny all the time and do all sorts of weird body positions where youre sanding on your ankle in weird ways, once you no longer feel any pain, youre good to go. and a little bit of pain later on is just your healed muscle tissue tearing a little and realigning itself properly, cuase it grew back all funky and swollen during recovery

wallride a bus everyday

buttmeate
9/13/2019 10:19 AM

when i have a bad injury that takes a month or two to be able to ride without pain. i usually still baby the injury and my riding as well for the nex two months, just so i dont have any surprise super injury from going hard as a motherfucker right out of the gate

wallride a bus everyday

Bulletpup
9/13/2019 6:27 PM
BillyBigRigger wrote:

Sprained: ice and ...more

My ankle and knee hurts every day, and every second I ride. Wear some space braces. Both ankles, not just your bad one. Wear them only when you ride and I bet you will notice you can ride for longer. I'd say stay off it for as long as you can stand (pun intended). Do things right and gradually get back into riding while staying away from high impact tricks. Go to a pump track or flow around a bowl you are comfortable with, or play it even safer and just pedal around so you don't lose musculature until you are confident in your ankles to hanfle the abuse.

You will thank yourself later.

Bulletpup
9/13/2019 6:28 PM
SlavBMX wrote:

Bumped thread :/

Dammit...lol I didnt read the dates.

Brandon9412
9/14/2019 10:22 AM
BillyBigRigger wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

My ankle and knee hurts ...more

Good idea. I’ve already told myself once I do get back on a bike I’ll just ride bowls. But no airing. I still can’t believe it was a simple hop bar that screwed my ankle up

Bulletpup
9/14/2019 10:28 AM
BillyBigRigger wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

My ankle and knee hurts ...more

Brandon9412 wrote:

Good idea. I’ve already ...more

I messed my ankle up (ruptured ligaments) just doing a nose pivot 180...something I had done a lot and felt I had it locked in. Both tires didnt even leave the ground. Couldn't walk right for 6 months and Its permanently damaged and will always hurt a lot for the rest of my life because of the joint instability. When I land wrong my right foot sometimes buckles and feels like bone on bone contact...hurts like a bitch. Lol

This is why I always remind people around me to pad up and protect your common areas that get injured. The simplest thing can fuck you up for life. I was wearing improper shoes with brand new aluminum grandstands with long steel pins. My pedals wouldnt let me bail from the bike and it just twisted my foot so much it snapped. Sucked lol

I dont really do drops anymore. Most i do is like 6 stairs height-wise.

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP