4 of 14
Related:
Create New Tag
cchili00 cchili00
4/16/2020 7:15 PM
pnj wrote:

Dude. Those look great.

...more

Thanks! And I hear what your saying about fighting it 😁. I will give that exercise a try, thanks for the suggestion.

Fortyseven Fortyseven
4/17/2020 11:26 AM

That's freaking good chilli!! I notice you are going faster than I was going into the spin... I felt like I'd fall easier when going that fast. However a flatlander on another forum said in order to stay up on the front tire you gotta have some speed and going too slow makes it more difficult. He also said I should try and grab the seat first with my right hand and it kind of implied it might make it easier than both hands on the bars. Huh....

I did something yesterday I'm pretty excited about. I FINALLY got my feet all the way over the bike in a tailwhip. Only once and my feet hit the ground and I kept going a bit more and couldn't repeat but that's as far as I've gotten. I yelled out and there was a gal walking her dog a ways off and looked at me. LOL. It's so exciting to get something after trying it for so long.

I kept getting closer and closer and I must've did it 20 times cuz I could taste it. I got my foot on the top tube a few times and I was like oh man I'm close. And finally boom over I went. LOL. But now I gotta learn how to either stop on the top tube and go down to the pedals or land on the pedals right off. LOL.

So.... that was my exciting story from yesterday. No vid of that but whatever. Hopefully I get the dialed eventually and can make a video. Thanks to Readybmxer for getting me interested in that trick. I would've never thought when I first started riding that I'd be able to actually get to this point. Since I'm an old guy and all that I figured just doing some bunny hops and barspins was gonna be my climax. LOL. But maybe I can do more than I thought originally. How much? Not really sure. This flatland stuff is super cool but NOT easy. I guess it's just a matter of how long my body will last trying. LOL. My goal is to try to make it to 50 years old and re evaluate. We will see. I probably have longer to do lower impact stuff but the days of doing super high impact stuff I'm sure is passed.

Like I feel pretty bad trying pull up bars again yesterday. But I got back up and nailed the after the third try. For some reason those ones are not coming easy to me. LOL. I keep getting them but not very easily. And I'm doing them on the gravel path instead of pure pavement. LOL.

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

cchili00 cchili00
4/17/2020 12:00 PM
Fortyseven wrote:

That's freaking good ...more

Thanks, yeah I definitely noticed there is a sweet spot for the speed. Too slow and it's very difficult to get a clean, balanced turn. Too fast and, at least for me, it starts to feel a little sketchy (although maybe that will pass as the confidence and consistency grow). I read conflicting opinions on whether to start with the seat grab version or not, tried it a couple times and it actually felt more awkward to me than just having both hands on the bars, so decided against it. But if it helps you to learn the balance then it's worth a try.

Congrats on the tailwhip progress, that's awesome!! Sounds like you'll get it nailed very soon!

Black Swamp Ghost Black Swamp Ghost
4/17/2020 12:07 PM

That ground rules video is awesome..

When I was talking about riding backwards all day, this is what I was thinking about.. (screenshot from ground rules)

Photo

That ^ is pretty easy to do, (not counting ride in and out)... I haven't figured out the ride in and out part. I think I need more room for that, like a parking lot.

cchili00 cchili00
4/17/2020 12:26 PM
Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

That ground rules video is ...more

Agreed, that video is making me seriously consider running a gyro setup and adding a front brake (or maybe just the front brake)!

4/17/2020 12:31 PM
Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

That ground rules video is ...more

cchili00 wrote:

Agreed, that video is ...more

Same here..

I don't want back brakes or the hardware store that comes with em..

But front brakes are simple and were awesome back in the day..

Fortyseven Fortyseven
4/17/2020 12:50 PM

Yeah at least you can just run the cable through the stem with the right top cap. One of the flatlanders I started to follow on Instagram has just a front. He seems pretty freaking good to. @terryadamsbmx

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

pnj pnj
4/17/2020 12:59 PM

LOL. Yea Terry is pretty damn good. has been for decades. smile

YES RUN FRONT BRAKES. (and I'm laughing at the 'hardware store that comes with them' comment about rear brakes.)

I feel like we sometimes make excuses for ourselves to not do or try certain things. When learning tricks on bicycles, the only real rule is gravity. smile

There are no other rules Do whatever you want. Running brakes will help SO MUCH with learning basic tricks and balance. Once you get your balance and basic skills down, take your brakes off if you want.

Fortyseven - great job on the tailwhips. They get easier.. As for weather to land on the top tube or go for the pedals, DO WHATEVER MAKES YOU LAND IT. That will build your confidence and stoke level. When you get them down 90% (9 out of 10?) ish, you'll have built up the ability to put your foot wherever you want to. frame, pedal. rear peg. front peg (multiple tailwhips? hmmm)

I can't even ride and I'm super stoked on you guys riding. haha.

Fortyseven Fortyseven
4/18/2020 9:22 AM

Mishinn and I met up at a skate park in-between us yesterday. And I'm excited cuz I got closer to landing one than ever. Still didn't but I was over the bars I think 5 times and hit the top tube several times. I'm almost there.

I didn't work on flatland stuff as much but whatever. I was kind of focused on getting the tailwhip. I did try to grab the seat while scuffing a fork glide and I kind of like it. But either way I got a long way to get to where I'm doing that. But I'm hoping it's like anything. The more you do it the more your muscles get used to the idea of it and the better you get. I feel like I have always had decent balance. I don't know how good in comparison to others but you know you do things growing up and what not. For example, I was about 37 years old and my parents lived in a place that had a small hill in their backyard. It was maybe 15 yards long and a bit steep. Well in the winter kids would sled down the hill. My Mom owned a daycare center and I actually worked there for a while after getting lyme disease. So I hadn't been on a skateboard since I was a teenager but one day I was at the top of the hill, stood on one of those normal plastic sleds and slid down that hill standing up. Didn't fall or anything. Did it like it was nothing. I was like Dang, I still got it. LOL. Maybe it was a fluke but there has to be a bit of skill there to be able to do that and even think I could attempt it without killing myself.

Anyways... you probably get my point. Which I'm not sure what it is other than you build up confidence throughout your life with sometimes flashes of brilliance. I'm sure everyone has stuff like that. And I'm hoping some of that translates to riding a bike. I feel like it does. But I also feel like I freaking wish I would've started it a lot younger. LOL.

Hopefully I land a tailwhip soon. I will be stoked.

MJbmx MJbmx
4/18/2020 5:03 PM

I learned fork glides by holding the seat. It's a little awkward with your weight so far over the bars, but it gives you something to leverage against to turn and keep balanced. Once you have that down you can try holding the bars and using weight instead. I'd also recommend practicing with opposite foot and then opposite peg, even early on. It's easier to learn things oppo if you don't have a preference yet.

For whips, it helps if you do more than just wait for the frame to come around. Work on tipping the bars in a circle and shifting your weight to speed it up. I learned by starting with my left foot on the back peg for more kick leverage, and tilted the bars in a tight circle, trying to get the fastest whip I could. Faster whip, less time waiting to fall over.

Great to see the progress, keep at it!

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

4/18/2020 5:19 PM
MJbmx wrote:

I learned fork glides by ...more

Awesome thanks for the tips!!

Here's some funny shit right here..

4/18/2020 6:13 PM

How unsafe brakeless is...

4/18/2020 10:12 PM
MJbmx wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Awesome thanks for the ...more

Re-watching it... The red vehicle saw it all go down lol, my feet were higher than my bars, thankfully a rare sight..ha..

MJbmx MJbmx
4/19/2020 6:49 AM
MJbmx wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Awesome thanks for the ...more

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Re-watching it... The red ...more

The other day, I crashed in the street, rolled around, got up slowly, limped over and grabbed my bike, cursed, then looked up and saw the neighbor's car sitting at a dead stop waiting patiently. No idea how long they were there...

4/19/2020 8:25 AM
MJbmx wrote:

The other day, I crashed ...more

Pretty funny man...

MJbmx MJbmx
4/19/2020 2:47 PM

Speaking of Terry Adams, great interview over on Flat Matters Online, if you don't already follow.

cchili00 cchili00
4/19/2020 8:06 PM

Spent some more time working on fork glide entries today. Getting better, but still no real consistency. I'll have little spurts where I'll hit 4 out of 5 in a row pretty well, and then will go through periods where I immediately step off 10 tries in a row. Here's some decent and not so decent attempts from today...

4/19/2020 9:22 PM

Way to go Chili!

Couple of those looked pretty good man.. Stay at it, getting better and better...

Mishinn_Control Mishinn_Control
4/19/2020 9:47 PM
cchili00 wrote:

Spent some more time ...more

Looking good! It won't be long before you are rolling from that glide into a tailwhip!

Spongeworthy Spongeworthy
4/19/2020 9:57 PM

Coming along nicely.

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

pnj pnj
4/20/2020 7:14 AM

i'd work on just the rolling backwards part. The fire hydrant part looks good.

and if you need to switch feet on the pegs for some dumb reason just to keep your balance. DO IT. smile There's no rules and any gained skill builds balance and confidence.

Lookin' good.

Fortyseven Fortyseven
4/20/2020 8:58 AM
MJbmx wrote:

I will take into account all what you are saying. I have seen others do tailwhips from the peg too. I might try it but I'd like to get it from the pedals. But I should try it.

I've sort of forsaken all practicing of fork glides for footjam tailwhips the last few days cuz I'm sooooo close at landing one. But I might have to give it a rest for a day. I don't want to though. I keep getting over the frame at times but haven't landed it. Although last night I tried about 20 times and my first attempt was the best one. I got over the frame. But you're right. I know sometimes I feel like I can rotate while the frame is swinging and other times I don't. And I gotta get a better kick because a lot of times it's only going 90 degrees. But that being said, I see ready doing his with the frame only going 90 a lot of times. But that's on a ramp. He knows how to rotate his body over to the frame. He says he's not using his free leg for leverage or whatever you'd call that, but when you watch him is free leg is way out there. LOL. I think he might not be aware. LOL. Don't hate me Ready, I'm just going by what I see.

Anyways.... I could sit here and talk about it a bunch but it doesn't matter. I just gotta keep trying and I like the tips. I'm getting better at footjam fakies too. More consistent with staying upright. Somewhat.

I feel like my hops suck lately though. I don't know if it's the pegs, or if I'm working on them less or what.....

https://i.imgur.com/CaodLyc.mp4

Chili: You are looking good!!!!!! Very good. It might not feel like it but it looks like you've made a lot of progress in a few days. That last one was impressive because of how far leaned over you were and you still salvaged it for a bit.

BSG that tailslide is HOT. Actually not sure if that's the right name for that. They look so cool. I can only do it that good on my cruiser in gravel with the coaster brake locked up. LOL. Not quite the same thing. I'm getting better at it on my bmx but I got a long way to go to be like that. Especially on concrete. I don't even attempt it on my driveway.

pnj pnj
4/20/2020 9:26 AM

that tailwhip was so close. if you see that your pedals are level. JAM YOUR FEET ONTO THEM. Actually you just need the front foot on the forward pedal. put your foot on that and the bike will roll forward..

As far as your hops, it's not the pegs weighing you down.

keep it up..

Fortyseven Fortyseven
4/20/2020 10:10 AM

I had a few where I've gotten one foot on a pedal but not the other one. LOL.

pnj pnj
4/20/2020 12:47 PM

you only need one foot on the pedal to ride away... and that's what I was saying about the forward pedal. if you're foot can reach that pedal, simply step on it.. your bike will go forward and wah-la. you're rolling forwards.... smile

if your pedals are strait up and down.. that's a different story of course. but it seems like one pedal is always more forward after you kick the frame around.. LOOK at the forward pedal and JAM YER DAMN FOOT/SHOE ONTO IT. smile

MJbmx MJbmx
4/20/2020 1:54 PM

I agree with pnj. I think you landed the tailwhip, it's the fakie from shifting your weight back to pedals that threw you. Either get some brakes, or get a foot on the lead pedal faster

4/20/2020 4:19 PM

Way to go 47! You got this bruddah!

In your other thread you mentioned you use one foot for FJ whips, and your other foot for foot jam into fakie? I find that interesting, I couldn't imagine using both feet for different things. Whichever foot you use for whips, try for getting into fakie, might like it better??

Skidding sideways is just something we all did as kids, just stuck with me.. Took a second to get used to it using my foot, but I feel really stable doing it like that now.. It's useful for escaping catastrophic situations lol...

Also something to think about..

You mentioned your first try was the best.. Because you were fresh, after you bust on a trick so many times, set it aside for a while and work on something easier for a bit, and come back to it later.. I think it helps to have a few different tricks to work on..

I was getting my ass whooped trying to fork glide and started getting nowhere. So I set that aside and tried FJ whips and something clicked and I started getting my frame to come around! Then that went to hell and guess what, my fork glides were fresh again!

Just some thoughts.. You and I could probably get an awfully frumpy but even GOB happening lol..

You and Chili are inspiring to me, hopefully a mutual thing..

I also appreciate the more experienced OGs chiming in with advice!!👍

Great thread this has turned into!

4/20/2020 4:20 PM

Is a footjam tailwhip the same thing as a whiplash?

Spongeworthy Spongeworthy
4/20/2020 5:04 PM
pnj wrote:

you only need one foot on ...more

Voilà

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

Wayne S Wayne S
4/20/2020 5:39 PM
Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Is a footjam tailwhip the ...more

No, but a lot of people like park riders are calling foot jam tailwhips, whiplashes.

Whiplash is rolling, changing your feet on the front pegs while the whip comes around.

btn
btn
4 of 14

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP