Create New Tag
sundaybmxRR sundaybmxRR
12/2/2013 12:30 PM

Just spotted this on The Merged

Looks interesting even if you're not a fan of Profile like myself

All they have about it so far though

DeviantBMX123 DeviantBMX123
12/2/2013 1:21 PM

this will be sick.. if it has the engagement of a cassette i will be selling my left kidney to fund buying it! its literally the best of both worlds!

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
12/2/2013 2:07 PM

I second this^
I will be selling multiple appendages for this hub

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
12/2/2013 2:27 PM

I guess this beats my profile fc thread.. :/

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

dave lawrence dave lawrence
12/2/2013 3:44 PM
DeviantBMX123 wrote:

this will be sick.. if it ...more

It won't.

It will be similar to the Ezra coaster for engagement.

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

Brayden_Buckingham Brayden_Buckingham
12/2/2013 3:46 PM

I can't view it but how do you pedal backwards to engage the coaster? Doesnt make sense

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
12/2/2013 3:48 PM
dave lawrence wrote:

It won't.

It will be ...more

How do you know?
Proof or gtfo

James_Letten17 James_Letten17
12/2/2013 4:09 PM

I am just sitting here watching him magically back pedal it into a freecoaster.... and i am just like. dafuq?

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

Brokenbmx Brokenbmx
12/2/2013 7:28 PM

Very interesting. curious to see how it works. they had to make it loud too!

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

12/2/2013 7:39 PM
DeviantBMX123 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

It won't.

It will be ...more

so was that similiar to other freecoasters too? i want a freecoaster so bad but i know i have trouble with bitch cranks.

Deviant BMX store

neophyte16 neophyte16
12/2/2013 7:43 PM

I guess it needed to backpedal first to make it coast backwards.

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

EddiMundo EddiMundo
12/3/2013 2:00 AM

the whole needing to back pedal it ruins it for me. I think im good with my cult fc.....

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

12/3/2013 5:34 AM

it might not have to back pedaled first. that might just be what he does to keep his balance better. but even then itll make halfcabs tons easier cuz u back pedal a turn then you can get your stance correct and still have time.

Deviant BMX store

12/3/2013 9:40 AM
DeviantBMX123 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

It won't.

It will be ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

How do you know?
Proof or ...more

How could you make it engage quickly going forward but not when you go backwards?

Without an incredibly complicated mechanism that would be full of tiny parts, this wouldn't be legitimately possible to have almost no slack but still coast well. It would catch.

I would bet it is like the Ezra coaster inside. Maybe refined slightly, but the same idea. Just like the Kink driver upgrade.

Prove me wrong or "GTFO".

As to the clicks, it has pawls and springs, like a cassette, and a mechanism similar in fashion to Ezra or Kink. I know a guy with an Ezra, and if you pedal forward and coast, you can position the cranks to get it to click like a cassette.

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/3/2013 10:28 AM
DeviantBMX123 wrote:

it might not have to back ...more

But the point of a freecoaster is to not have to backpedal.

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
12/3/2013 10:42 AM

We'll see alot more about it soon. Im really curious.
Can you back pedal the entire fakie or do you have to coast?
Can you pedal pressure during fakies / getting out of fakies?
Will the connection be similar to a cassette or a coaster?
Hopefully we'll have these answers soon. I just want to see the internals more than anything.

BMX_Forever BMX_Forever
12/3/2013 10:46 AM
HardBMX_Tim wrote:

We'll see alot more about ...more

You can pedal back for the entire fakie on any coaster.

HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
12/3/2013 11:41 AM
HardBMX_Tim wrote:

We'll see alot more about ...more

BMX_Forever wrote:

You can pedal back for the ...more

Really? I thought that engages it

12/3/2013 12:00 PM
DeviantBMX123 wrote:

it might not have to back ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

But the point of a ...more

thats kind of my point? they are saying that you have to back pedal and then coast you cant just coast.

Deviant BMX store

HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
12/3/2013 12:04 PM
DeviantBMX123 wrote:

thats kind of my point? ...more

Tbh I think that one crank is worth being able to pedal pressure while coasting. Plus maybe he just does a back pedal to get his footing right? I don't think it says anywhere that you have to back pedal. I think we all need to stfu until more info is released.

clintdcase clintdcase
12/3/2013 1:44 PM

His slack is just super tight. It doesnt have the engagement of a cassette.

MaximusBikes MaximusBikes
12/3/2013 4:03 PM

I think i have the exact idea in my head as to how this works.

Pedaled forward, it is all cassette. When you pedal back, there are ramps that have the pawls pushed down, when in reverse, leaving it almost neutral. Then when pedaled forward the pawls slip out and back into cassette mode. It is a great idea. I think the ramps are one full rotation back, or maybe a half crank and they only stop the pawls from being up. I think there will be a disc involved and the ramps will be called a clutch, like the Ezra. But this hub is DIFFERENT for sure. Similar, but different.

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
12/3/2013 4:33 PM
MaximusBikes wrote:

I think i have the exact ...more

I hope if this is the case it will still engage like a cassette. Id hate to do a crank flip or something and have a ton of slack. I would also want to pedal pressure out of fakies

kylecarlson kylecarlson
12/3/2013 8:16 PM

This hub is going to change the game. Profile has always made amazing hubs and I'm sure this will be 100% dialed by the time it's released.

12/4/2013 8:25 AM
kylecarlson wrote:

This hub is going to ...more

Hopefully it doesn't meet the fate of the G-coaster.

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

eskimojay eskimojay
3/15/2014 4:51 PM

Anyone know when it drops? I've decided I'm going to go profile on my new bike for hubs.....going to run my Hoffman wheels till this releases

biggybuggy biggybuggy
3/15/2014 6:20 PM

Until a really reliable fc comes out, like REALLY reliable, im on cassette. Or if tree drops a straight pull fc.

3/15/2014 6:27 PM

so just so you know you DO NOT have to pedal backwards.

Deviant BMX store

boston boston
3/16/2014 7:11 AM

Speculation slows the process...
All of you are like a free r&d department! Lol!
If I owned a parts company I'd be ripping you all off left and right.
Save your ideas guys!
Use them to run your own companies!

HardBMX_Tim wrote: I welded a peg to my pedal so I could do pedal grinds. I would rather wear a teletubbies speedo than a shirt with the word "Bitches" on it, or even worse, "Swag".

3/16/2014 10:08 AM
boston wrote:

Speculation slows the ...more

A CNC machine to CNC out hubs/stems, easily 20+ grand, 100+ for individual bits (diff ones for diff materials), PLUS software to design and program the hub into. Then materials cost, design time/labor, AND the fact that you will need to source several internal parts (pawls, springs, axles if you go cassette style, or KHE internals if you go that route), THEN time to assemble the parts together, plus test time to make sure it isn't crap.

So all together, probably 20-30 grand to design a hub and build it myself without sourcing the build elsewhere, and that is assuming minimal design time and ease of getting materials needed for a fair price. That would mean I would likely need to sell 400 of them to break even, assuming cost is 75 bucks in time/materials and a 150 dollar selling price. With the amount of scrutiny new companies get, this would be a tough task to hit in a reasonable amount of time, and JUST on one part. Tooling for other parts would be spendy as well, a couple grand for a rame jig, probably similar to have abar jig (adjustable of course) plus a TIG welder (usually around 1-3 grand for a decent setup).

Also none of this factors in space to start said company.

So chances are good I won't be starting my own company any time soon.

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

btn
btn
1 of 2

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals ยป

THE SHOP