Related:
Create New Tag
Peyote Peyote
5/7/2013 7:36 PM

Hi all, I just joined because I got my son his first BMX bike! I used to ride in high school, but equipment has changed a lot since the days when I rode my PK Ripper (man I wish I still had that).

So my son's starter bike is a Redline Roam. He is turning 8 in September, and is about 52" tall. He is still kind of unsteady on bikes, so I'm trying to get this one set up correctly for him. When he rides it with the seat all the way down, his toes are just able to touch the ground, but then the pedals travel up too high and his knees are in his chest.

I'm thinking he needs a new crank with shorter arms. The crank is currently a one piece. I can't find the specs on the current arms since the bike is a 2007, but all the other Redline Roams are listed with 175mm cranks.

Is it reasonable to assume that a crank with shorter arms and then a smaller sprocket would help out?

If so, does this mean I have to get him a 3-piece? Or does someone make one piece cranks with shorter arms?

If it has to be a three piece, what type of bearing do I need? This needs to be on the cheaper side too.

Thanks!

Peyote Peyote
5/9/2013 8:15 PM

Wow, zero replies...that's encouraging...

Anyway I solved the issue by going to a 4.5" crank, 40t chain wheel, and 18t freewheel.

He has a much easier time riding now

isnowyaznV2 isnowyaznV2
5/9/2013 8:26 PM

I think it's called standing up while riding unless you're cruising. I am 5'2" and I ride a slammed seat with 175mm cranks like almost every other BMXer in the world in this generation. I have absolutely no problems.

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

TheBrandonFranke TheBrandonFranke
5/9/2013 8:32 PM
isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I think it's called ...more

Hes 8.........

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

BMXism BMXism
5/9/2013 8:33 PM

^. Raise his seat if hes cruising. Nobodies gonna have an easy time pedaling with their seat so low. If hes not gonna be practicing tricks anytime soon just adjust the seat to a happy height.

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

Peyote Peyote
5/9/2013 8:40 PM

No worries, as I said the problem is solved it just took a few days of research and parts from two different stores...

Also, I did try raising the seat, but then his feet were off the ground.

This rehearing should work for some time and eventually I'll still have the parts to bring him back up to a bigger crank and gear.

Next task will be figuring out how to shave it down from 24 lbs. gonna start with the seat and maybe alum forks.

Cheers

tomdon tomdon
5/9/2013 8:44 PM
Peyote wrote:

No worries, as I said the ...more

Seat won't save enough weight to notice. And aluminum forks are just no. When he starts learning, you'll regret it

I'm on the vital legit list!

Peyote Peyote
5/9/2013 8:47 PM

Why no alum forks? Only reason I can think of might be strength, but I figured that someone has to make a strong one somewhere

tomdon tomdon
5/9/2013 8:51 PM

Alum has its areas where the strength is enough, stems, bearing races/cones, rims, hubs, seat posts. Forks are area where aluminum just won't do. Theyare a very crucial part of the bike where skimping out is not an option. Aluminum in high stress areas is for the smoothest of riders such as racers.

I'm on the vital legit list!

BMXism BMXism
5/9/2013 8:53 PM

Peyote, you've been out of the loop for a while hahah. Things Have changed.. a LOT. The only things in use on a today's freestyle BMX bike that are aluminum are stem, sprocket, hub shells and rims. (and handful of cranks) Best way to lower the weight is a new frame.. that may be too soon and lil expensive though. Get em a pair of plastic pedals. They're light and easy on the shins. The kid is young. How much does his bike weigh? if it's 25-27 he'll be fine with that until he grows some more. Can't expect him to be throw it around like a ragdoll. Best to start him at the park where he can flow around and get used to maneuvering. Basic stuff, keep it fun.

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

TheBrandonFranke TheBrandonFranke
5/9/2013 9:06 PM
Peyote wrote:

No worries, as I said the ...more

Plastic seatpost might be good Because it probably has a stock 200mm post.
Pivotal or railed? A pivotal would save weight by a few ounces (like max 10)
Thick tires? Some newer tires like Powerblocks or Streetblock (Light & Cheap) Depending on if he rides Dirt or just Around if you know what i mean.
Plastic pedals as bmxism said

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

isnowyaznV2 isnowyaznV2
5/9/2013 9:12 PM

High-tensile steel is good for his level. And cheap tires are good too. You might wanna get some flat liners and chain lube for whatever reason I felt like saying that.

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

Peyote Peyote
5/9/2013 9:21 PM

Ok so no to alum forks...makes sense. The bike as it is will just be for cruising, later we can go more towards freestyle as he gets the hang of it.

The pedals are already plastic, the rims are alum. The tires are Redline knobbies, so maybe there's some weight to save there. The post is pivotal but I'm thinking about switching him to a padded mini seat with built in aluminum post.

Single brake only already with no pegs, which doesn't leave much left, maybe a set of lighter bars?

And yes, out of the loop is an undertatement. You should hear the replies I get from the local shops when I asked about a sprocket for a one piece crank, lol. And these are stores in Austin, one of the biggest biking communities in the country.

Things have changed since the days I had shark bites ripping up my shins.

Peyote Peyote
5/9/2013 9:21 PM

Oh and FYI his bike sits at 24.5 lbs stock, and the main reason I want to replace the seat, other than weight, is its just too long for him

Xxohioanxx Xxohioanxx
5/9/2013 9:39 PM
Peyote wrote:

Ok so no to alum ...more

Going from regular tires to folding tires makes the single biggest weight difference on a bike, and you really feel the rotational weight.

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

Peyote Peyote
5/9/2013 9:49 PM
Xxohioanxx wrote:

Going from regular tires ...more

Good to hear, thanks!

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP