Related:
Create New Tag
Jessentis Jessentis
5/3/2019 12:30 AM

Just wondering how possible it is to get every single part with a lifetime warranty since my frame, forks, bars, cranks, pedals (just the spindle) and chain are lifetime warranty. Had a look around and a lifetime stem, sprocket, pegs or hubs don't seem to exist, is there any reason why? As for rims and bearings I would never expect them to be available with a lifetime warranty, except maybe bearings if you could get ceramics. For tires, grips and seats I don't understand why you would feel the need for a warranty.

I know for most people a lifetime warranty is overkill unless you're pro, but at that point broken parts will be replaced for free right? It's just nice and reassuring knowing that your parts are tough as hell and should never break and if they do will be replaced (providing you didn't do anything stupid to it)

readybmxer readybmxer
5/3/2019 1:09 AM

I mean...

If you were pro, you'd get parts free regardless of any warranty they offer, because you're professionally riding for said company. Same for flow riders, main difference being they don't get a paycheck.

Sprockets will wear down quicker than most parts. Same for pegs and hubs, which could be a factor in it, but I have no idea.

As for tires and grips, it's not that you don't feel the need for a lifetime warranty, it's just that it's a bad idea from a business point of view. I mean, if you're sliding around and burning out your tires left and right, there's no money to be made for a business if you're just being sent new tires every month because of that warranty. Especially for those who go through grips even quicker.

Some parts are stronger then others, but all parts will break, that is all. If you can find warranty, awesome. If not, you'll have to buy a new thing when it breaks, simple as that.

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

.pegless. .pegless.
5/3/2019 1:27 AM

It’s all wearable. Even frames and forks fatigue over time.

Jessentis Jessentis
5/3/2019 1:27 AM
readybmxer wrote:

I mean...

If you were ...more

I get that sprockets, pegs and hubs will usually wear down. However I had a sprocket made of chromoly once and after about a year of riding 10 miles to school everyday it still looked brand new and hadn't had any marks on it, aluminium sprockets are the only ones I've known of wearing down for obvious reasons. With pegs I only really meant the cores of plastic pegs snapping otherwise it would be a similar story to warranty tires. Hubs will wear down too in their mechanism, bearings and eventually shell but what's stopping them from having a warranty on the axle? Is it just their physically isn't enough room to make an axle thick enough to be strong enough?

I know some parts simply can't have a warranty but let's say with a sprocket the warranty could be against the sprocket bending/snapping from impact and wouldn't cover wear on the teeth?

Jessentis Jessentis
5/3/2019 1:34 AM
.pegless. wrote:

It’s all wearable. Even ...more

True, but how long are we talking? 5 years? 10? 50? Lifetime warranty probably isn't saying you can ride it from 10 years old until 100, it's probably saying it shouldn't break within the expected life time of a product. Not sure if I'm making sense but let's say most people hold onto one frame for less than 10 years, the frame should be able to last 15 years.

EddiMundo EddiMundo
5/3/2019 1:46 AM
Jessentis wrote:

Just wondering how ...more

Thats not what a lifetime warranty means. Its not the company saying 'this part is unbreakable', its them sayin that from normal use it shouldn't break, and if it does break, something was wrong.

If youve rode a part for years, had good use out of it, and still go to the company to warranty it from a break due to heavy riding and general wear and tear, then youre a bit of a dick in my book.

Nothing is forever.

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

readybmxer readybmxer
5/3/2019 1:56 AM

You’re overthinking it. You can’t just buy a bike once and replace everything for free using lifetime warranty.

Jessentis Jessentis
5/3/2019 2:27 AM

I'm not saying lifetime warranty means it's invinsible, but I'm assuming lifetime warranty means that I shouldn't be able to break it with my basic riding unless I rode infront of a train. I'll most likely replace all the parts on my bike within five or ten years, but knowing that the manufacturer thought 'yes this product is super duper strong and we're so confident in that that we'll give it a lifetime warranty' is very reasuring knowing I could ride it as hard as I like without having to worry about something breaking.

I could probably have a $500 complete bike and never break it, but like I'm saying knowing the manufacturer is so confident in a products strength that they gave it a life time warranty is reassuring.

I was just thinking that half of the parts on a bike are available with a lifetime warranty, but why aren't the other half available with lifetime?

eskimojay eskimojay
5/3/2019 4:05 AM

warranty’s are for pussies who drive the speed limit , go fast and expect to break shit , you will have more fun

Jessentis Jessentis
5/3/2019 4:10 AM
eskimojay wrote:

warranty’s are for pussies ...more

Well that would be alright, but I'm just concerned about something breaking and having a fat shard of metal stab me. If everything broke cleanly I wouldn't be as worried.

Still doesn't answer my question, what is stopping manufacturers from making a stem or something like that with a warranty. I'm just curious, that's all. We're going into a future where things like this are only becoming lighter and stronger, and I'm curious what goes into that strength and all that crap

eskimojay eskimojay
5/3/2019 4:17 AM
eskimojay wrote:

Jessentis wrote:

Well that would be ...more

As a 20 + year veteran this sounds perfect to me and probably fucked up to you , when you break a part and don’t break a bone with it it’s a great day , I break allot of parts , keep practicing and riding as much as you can to build bike control , focus more on the riding and less on worrying about your bike , once you finally do break a part then it’s time to come to the table and ask questions , you gotta go big too break stuff , you should go ride your ass off and break something

Jessentis Jessentis
5/3/2019 4:27 AM
eskimojay wrote:

Jessentis wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

As a 20 + year veteran ...more

I've broken cranks, stem, bars, forks, sprocket, rims and obviously chain and spokes. They were all from a $250 complete and broke mainly because there weren't really looked after that well

MH MH
5/3/2019 5:15 AM
eskimojay wrote:

That’s nonsense!
I love pussy and people who drive within the speed limit are awesome because they kill fewer innocent people!
And warranty is pretty great because you can get your broken part replaced when you ride your ass off and break it, can’t really see the problem in that.

dave lawrence dave lawrence
5/3/2019 5:26 AM

I get what you mean as far as them standing by their products, and even without warranty and normal riding conditions, most brands want to help you out in some way if there is an issue.

When you break parts, you should use that as a moment to upgrade. If you are running top of the line stuff, think about what you were doing when it broke, and what you did the whole time you had the part. If you run a set of cranks for 9 years and snap them doing your 50th roof drop after years of crankarm grinds, congrats, but you should not be covered based on the abuse that part went through. If you do a 180 off a curb and that is your biggest trick and they snap after 6 months with having not been hit on stuff, then it should be covered if a warranty is offered.

One last thing, your statement "lifetime warranty' is very reasuring knowing I could ride it as hard as I like without having to worry about something breaking" is basically you saying "I want parts that will not break, and I feel a lifetime warranty means that." even though you also said "I'm not saying lifetime warranty means it's invinsible, but I'm assuming lifetime warranty means that I shouldn't be able to break it with my basic riding unless I rode infront of a train".

It doesn't. It means they will cover you IF/WHEN you break the part, not that it is indestructible or will not break. Look into Eastern Bikes from around 2009-2012 or so. They offered lifetime warranty on aftermarket frames, and honestly they were one of the most commonly seen broken frames (Partially due to the volume of them in the wild, and the explosion of the internet shortly before and kids living online). Granted they were 4lbs, and had a "Don't ride heavy street" warning on them that most riders ignored, but they still offered it and honored it. It hurt them financially pretty hard.

Warranties can also be seen as "we know this could break, so to save face we will cover you for a while".

As to ceramic bearings, you CAN get those for most parts. Is it worth the cost? No, not unless you are racing etc as those bearings tend to just roll smoother.

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

.pegless. .pegless.
5/3/2019 5:33 AM

The shadow supreme chain is only warrantied against breaking. Not wear. I believe animal advertised lifetime warranty on a sprocket? But again, not against wear, or landing on it.......

Odyssey antigram hubs have a lifetime warranty on their axles.

In the cycling industry, everything has an expected lifetime. For steel frames it’s 7 years iirc. But that’s from normal use, not riding how we ride. But odyssey’s lifetime is literally for life. No one should expect a part to last that long. And nor do odyssey.

I believe odyssey and anyone else that offers a good warranty is using it partly as a sales ploy (good customer service, and free parts means return customers. Not saying it’s a bad thing at all). But it also shows they trust their parts and stand behind them. But, you need to realise how many shitty emails they must get from people “this part doesn’t work as I expected it to. Give me a new one now!” Regardless of how that person treated that part.

I used to deal with warranty issues on bikes a lot. It’s not fun. Customers are dicks.

5/3/2019 10:00 AM
.pegless. wrote:

The shadow supreme chain ...more

This.

A well worded, polite email has done WONDERS for me.

I bent and twisted a frame, and got a KILLER deal on a crash replacement from Eastern.

I scored a second hand cracked Primo rim, they covered it. (I was a brat back in the day)

I had DK Chopstix cranks that had a minor crack, they covered em and did not expect the cracked set in return.

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

Dad_Im_Pregnant Dad_Im_Pregnant
5/3/2019 10:40 AM
eskimojay wrote:

Jessentis wrote:

> what is stopping manufacturers from making a stem or something like that with a warran

Money, profit margins

Come back with a warrant.

5/3/2019 10:52 AM
Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

> what is stopping ...more

Lack of sales since so many kids these days replace parts due to the color.

Granted stems don't tend to break...usually just strip out. (Ironically had this issue with a Profile stem-it came with bolts that were too short) but they took care of me.

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

readybmxer readybmxer
5/3/2019 10:52 AM
Jessentis wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but all things break.

p1p1092 p1p1092
5/3/2019 5:40 PM
Jessentis wrote:

Lifetime warranty(or any other kind of warranty, for that matter) does not mean it will break cleanly. The only way to make something break cleanly every time is to specifically design a weak point into the product, which is both bad for the end-user and the warranty department.

People don't tend to break stems, and when they do, it's usually due to user error when they installed it.

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP