Related:
Create New Tag
Bulletpup Bulletpup
11/23/2017 12:35 AM

So heres some thoughts/questions banging around in my head.

First of all, I plan on grinding on my right side as I feel more comfortable hopping parallel to my right than my left.

I have a pair of plastic grandstands Im using on my cruiser, should I switch them over to the bike Im going to try grinding with? Or should I keep the aluminum pedals I have on now and just remove the pins from one side of the right pedal?

Im not planning on doing pedal grinds and stalls just yet but I know the pedal will inevitably touch whatever Im grinding at some point. From what I know, plastic slides better than aluminum.

Would it be worth it to switch to a lhd setup since I am going to suck really bad for quite a while as I learn grinds/stalls? I do have a switchable rear hub and some cranks that have sprocket mounting posts on both sides.

Would it be more sensible to just buy a guarded sprocket and keep my drivetrain on the right? Maybe go all out and do both...get a guard sprocket and switch to lhd? What would you do?

If you wonder why I am so concerned with protecting my chain, its because my knees are problematic and I dont want to further complicate things by damaging myself unnecessarily if I can avoid it by just running a proper setup from the get-go...that was a long sentence.

Again, I am less concerned about money and more concerned with prolonging my ability to ride.

What are your suggestions? Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

SquirrelBait SquirrelBait
11/23/2017 5:14 AM

I grind on the right, and switched to lhd a few years ago. I didn’t switch because of damaging my drivetrain. When I ran rhd I would have to retension my chain a couple times every ride because the pressure from the chain doing it’s job and the pegs doing theirs would shift the wheel. Switched over to a lhd setup and have had no issues like that since. And if you plan on sticking to plastic pedals, mark one side somehow and make sure it stays up so you don’t ruin the pins on both sides.

HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
11/23/2017 8:04 AM

I would use the plastics because; 1. They're not painted so they keep their color when worn down. 2. They slide so you don't have to worry about hanging up, just try to be mindful of which side you're wearing down so you can keep pins on one side. I personally put metal pins in one side of my pc pedals.

Yes I would also switch to LHD. I learned grinding on the right side aswell, and went through a good 5 or so sprockets before deciding to switch to LHD and haven't had a problem since. Mind you, once you're really consistent with your grinds, it won't matter as much, & a guard sprocket tends to help too.

A guard sprocket is an awesome option. It won't necessarily protect your chain from every grind, but it opens up doors for a lot of different grind/stall combos. It also protects your chain for the most part.

If you're really worried about breaking chains; 1. Switch to LHD. This is the only fool-proof way to avoid hitting it on your right side. 2. Invest in a Shadow Interlock Supreme chain. It's $55 but it's the only chain on the market with a lifetime guarantee against breaking, and it almost acts like a guard itself, as far as hitting it goes. Ive been on mine for 2+ years now and only ever cracked one link from doing sprocket stalls on it non-stop. Compared to other chains like the Odyssey Keychain that only lasted me 6months before rattling apart.

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

grumpySteve grumpySteve
11/23/2017 8:56 AM

I'd stay rhd. If you decide to put 4 pegs on and grind both sides, you'll be more likely to slip on your unnatural side. Just get hub guards, and maybe a guarded sprocket but they don't really protect your chain all that much

Bulletpup Bulletpup
11/23/2017 9:43 AM
HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I would use the plastics ...more

I will switch to the plastics and go lhd, thank you for mentioning how many sprockets you went through that really helped me decide.

Ill throw my lhd cranks on my main and put the rhd only ones on my dirt jump/cruiser.

Bulletpup Bulletpup
11/23/2017 9:43 AM
SquirrelBait wrote:

I grind on the right, and ...more

Ill do the paint the pedals thing, I like that idea!

Bulletpup Bulletpup
11/23/2017 9:44 AM
grumpySteve wrote:

I'd stay rhd. If you ...more

Ill keep my rhd cranks if I decide to go 4 pegs in the future. Good call though, id be super shit at grinds on my weak side...

Mishinn_Control Mishinn_Control
11/23/2017 10:02 AM
grumpySteve wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Ill keep my rhd cranks if ...more

I haven't dabbled into grinds, myself but plan to when time (& weather) allows. BUT grinds, to me anyway, seem like they'd be easy on either side for me. We'll see... Lol

Bulletpup Bulletpup
11/23/2017 10:35 AM
grumpySteve wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Ill keep my rhd cranks if ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I haven't dabbled into ...more

Ya, my ankle and weather are gonna slow my learning down but my friend is building a grimd box he can bring over for garage sessions when its snowing.

BcBMX80 BcBMX80
11/23/2017 11:37 AM

When I do ride pegs I'm left hand pegs with rhd otherwise your sprocket will eat it...

Coopers25 Coopers25
11/25/2017 10:24 AM

Right foot forward and I Grind on my right normally. Switch to LHD it's worth it I don't go though sprockets and chains like I used to when I was the and slipped all the time. It's worth it imo. I run 4 pegs now and I'd like to get a guard so my chain is protected. Do it

Bulletpup Bulletpup
11/25/2017 5:27 PM

Switched my drivetrain to the left, switched to my plastic grandstands, got some gland hub guards and uniguards front and rear. All that in conjunction with the odyssey mpeg's Id say Im ready to eat some concrete both with my face and my pegs. Lol

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP