1 of 2
Related:
Create New Tag
Fortyseven
2/13/2020 11:02 AM

Just curious how many have a CS into the 12's. Shopping for bikes I see a few of them like WTP's and curious how people like them.

If so, how do you think it affects your manuals if you had a bike with a longer CS to begin with?

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

adamnmexican
2/13/2020 11:11 AM

my st.martin frame is under 13 and has a bb height of almost 13 lol. it feels crazy

fack off

Fortyseven
2/13/2020 11:16 AM

That's high. Wowz.

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

Undesemin
2/13/2020 2:18 PM

The frame I have now has a chainstay of 13.1 slammed but I run it at like 13.25. Coming from my previous frame which had 14" chainstays, I do prefer the feeling of my new frame. That being said, the difference wasn't as significant as you might expect. Spins do seem to come around a little quicker and with less effort, my hops definitely feel a little more poppy, and manuals are easier to get into but definitely harder to control. For me personally, I'm not sure if I would want to go any shorter, I'm pretty happy where I'm at.

readybmxer
2/13/2020 2:31 PM

Mine's 13.2", but since it's not slammed, it's just a tad longer. My old Kink frame was, I think 13.75", but likely ran at just under 14" since that too wasn't slammed and my drive setup needed one more link to fit, leaving it longer than I wanted it. Manuals, spins, and footjam whips are noticeably better for me with my current, but it's not so much the chainstay, it's the super short 19.69" TT. When I hop on other friend's bikes, many of which are under 13", everything is immensely difficult for me since nobody runs toptubes below 20.5" in our group.

Not trying to be rude or pushy, but again, I feel like you're overthinking things a little. This will be your first ever BMX, and you don't have anything to compare it to, not even your current department store bike, which feels worlds of differences to any normal BMX.

EDIT: I suggest anything between 13” and 14”, it’s a happy medium and great for all kinds of riding. I say prioritization should point to toptube size.

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

Black Swamp Ghost
2/13/2020 2:35 PM

Chainstay 12.75 on my new Kink Williams, my last BMX was a 1987 Redline RL20B. My new Kink feels crazy awesome, responsive as all hell compared to that old school whip. Feels like it allows me to maintain control better at very slow speeds, although that could also be the 75.5 head tube angle and 26mm fork offset too?

Cellmember
2/13/2020 2:40 PM

I've ridden from 14.25" all the way to 12.75" and everything in between and I do prefer 12.75" out of all of them and want to go shorter, and that's usually with a 75HT 71ST and 11.5-11.75BBH. It's a good.

Francky
2/13/2020 2:41 PM

13.0”
I usually ride a little longer like 13.1”-13.25”
But my current frame starts at 12.8” and dropouts are super short, so any longer than that, my wheel will just fall off.
It spins super easy on hard way grinds and manual feels good, twitchier but easier to control in a way.
under 13” is just crazy short, if you manual to feeble or so, it feels like it could loop out soooo easy.

OneGuyIlluminatiEye
2/13/2020 3:17 PM

Stuck on a kink contender right now, its a bit past 13.25 honestly cannot wait to get a frame in the 12’s and some 160mm cranks

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

pnj
2/13/2020 4:19 PM

longer is better.

it's more stable and if you're learning, more stable is more better.

MJbmx
2/13/2020 4:37 PM

Mine would be 13" slammed, I ride it a half link longer so I don't need to break the chain (tensioners for the win). Came from a 16" cs on the old mid school beast, and it took a few months to get used to. I'd be riding fine, then just bunny hop or 360 and loop out hard. Now that I've adjusted, I wish I'd gone a bit shorter. Might look for 12.8 or so next time.

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?

bmxmanboy
2/13/2020 5:02 PM

13.6 here. I love it for trails, bowls and park

I like riding my bike.

falloftroy20
2/13/2020 5:53 PM

I went from like 14" straight to 12.9" and it was fucking nuts. Basically say goodbye to your manuals at first, but its going to be so much easier to pull the front end up your bike is going to feel 50lb lighter. Overall I'm happy to have stepped into the 21st century with the short back end. Its worth it. Unless you're riding bowls or trails you dont need that much stabilization anyway

Black Swamp Ghost
2/13/2020 6:04 PM
falloftroy20 wrote:

I went from like 14" ...more

Lol, my sentiments exactly...

Feels like a "racing feather"

RumHam
2/13/2020 11:28 PM

I ride a 12.8 and it's pretty much slammed, I'm honestly way better and more comfortable at things like manuals and airs now than I was on a 14, it's really all about personal preference

Bulletpup
2/13/2020 11:28 PM

Rode a 12.75" slammed for a good while. I ended up lengthening my chain so it wasnt as annoying to take my wheel off and settled on 13". I ended up preferring a bit longer chainstay when I realized how twitchy my bike felt compared to some of my friends bikes. Im happy with 13" and dont plan on changing it anytime soon.

Bulletpup
2/13/2020 11:31 PM
Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Chainstay 12.75 on my new ...more

Jesus...Is the tire almost touching the seat tube?

Id love to try a chainstay that short.

Fatalize
2/13/2020 11:51 PM

I ride the new Total Hangover 4 which has a slammed chainstay of 12.6". I’m not completely slammed, but close to it.

Definitely easier to pull the front end for manuals (but I suck at manuals still), and a bit more comfortable for whips too.

Spongeworthy
2/14/2020 2:12 AM
Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Jesus...Is the tire almost ...more

I think the Williams is actually 12.75

Black Swamp Ghost
2/14/2020 3:45 AM
Bulletpup wrote:

Jesus...Is the tire almost ...more

Sorry, should be 12.75, I edited it..

HavokDJ
2/14/2020 8:10 AM
adamnmexican wrote:

my st.martin frame is ...more

Good lord that’s insane but cozy at the same time.

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

HavokDJ
2/14/2020 8:13 AM
Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

God redline has the most delicious NOS bikes. I have an RL20II frame that I can’t stand not having as a bike. Been wanting to restore it for a loooong time but RL20II parts are far between and I still need to finish my parts.
EDIT: I’m retarded as hell, it’s RL20II not RL22

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

Fortyseven
2/14/2020 8:27 AM
readybmxer wrote:

Mine's 13.2", but since ...more

I've been meaning to ask you, how tall are you?

I'm just learning. Whether it's overthinking or not I don't really care. I'm sort of waiting to hear back from my accountant about the amount of tax returns before I buy anything. Should be soon. Might determine if I go over my saved up amount and get something more expensive or go with something cheaper, used...…

It's winter here, we do more talking than riding. LOL. Last two nights there's been snow on the ground and it may be a few weeks before I can even get back on my BMX. It snowed and then got really cold and that doesn't allow the snow to melt on my driveway and patches of ice on the roads in front of my house. So all I have is time to talk about BMXing. LOL. I'm also working on my normal bikes, cleaning and such. Workin on my sons MTB now. Putting a more upright set of bars and a new shifter on and cleaning all the bearings.

We don't get 70-80 degrees all year round here. LOL. Of course I don't know what your weather was like where you were born. But Hawaii has got to be ideal for riding. LOL.

I did see Erik Elstran doing a hand rail grind in Minnesota with snow on the ground and I see other vids of him riding in the winter.... I'm not sure I'm good enough to be trying tricks on snow covered roads. I do ride my normal bikes for exercise though. That's actually fun to ride in the snow.

readybmxer
2/14/2020 9:13 AM
Fortyseven wrote:

I've been meaning to ask ...more

Naw I get you. XD It’s just that if you’re trying to put every single measurement possible that exists on a bike into picking a bike, it’s not gonna happen.

I’m 5’, 7” so pretty near to you, right?

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

Fortyseven
2/14/2020 10:13 AM

I know. I gotta start somewhere. I feel like the more I know about them the better informed I am when looking at used bikes. And even new. But I know more of what I'm looking at now then I did 2-3 weeks ago. Which I didn't know enough to make a good decision I don't think.

Mulletsnax
2/14/2020 10:25 AM

I have the new Total Hangover H4. 12.6. But I run 28/9 with a full link and 1 half. So it’s like 12.6-5ish. I love it.

Super-Pawl
2/14/2020 2:20 PM

I had a brakeless ALVX with the back wheel nearly slammed, 7s on a frontload and a freecoaster . I LOVED it but had to get rid of it last year to pay my medical bills. I ride a Steadfast now which is basically the opposite of that but I miss that ALVX a lot...

Bulletpup
2/14/2020 2:39 PM
readybmxer wrote:

Mine's 13.2", but since ...more

Fortyseven wrote:

I've been meaning to ask ...more

I have ridden in the snow many times, so let me offer this tip. Not recommended, not in the least, not even a tiny bit.

Its like asking for a swollen hip just for kicks. Even the tires being colder will result in less grip.

Perhaps a trip to the hospital, at most it could be. But the short distance you travel could result in a costly fall, so just dont, I do plead.

Lol

Fortyseven
2/15/2020 10:27 AM

Well, riding around the neighborhood in the snow I'm not going to stop. Doing tricks on a bmx bike on slippery surfaces seems like a bridge too far for me. LOL.

eskimojay
2/15/2020 2:00 PM

Smallest I’ve rode was 13 it was fun , would never run something that short again though as looping out on flips fucking hurts and I want to start sending double flips next season , 13.5 is what I’m at right now I would even go back to a 13.75 or bigger next frame possibly , small rear ends are fun for slow speed tech park riding , but easy as hell loop out riding big jumps , the real big issue i have these days is finding a frame that fits a 30 tooth sprocket that I like , 30 tooth Speed is far more important to me than rear end length , I can adapt to rear end length , I cannot adapt to turtle speed gearing

1 of 2

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP