Related:
Create New Tag
SteelCityBMX SteelCityBMX
1/28/2015 5:46 PM

This winter I've been riding through the snow a lot and my bike is starting to feel like crap now. Since I'm not gonna be riding my bike anymore until it warms up I wanna clean my bike and make it feel like new again. What parts should I be cleaning and regreasing? what kind of grease should I be using? List all the parts I should be regreasing

Brian_Griffin Brian_Griffin
1/28/2015 6:01 PM

This is available! !! I'll let the next person answer the question ...

F¬ Bom 5403692331

1/28/2015 6:05 PM
Brian_Griffin wrote:

This is available! !! I'll ...more

I don't get it?

NewAndImprovedClancy NewAndImprovedClancy
1/28/2015 6:08 PM

Have you tried using lube and brute force?

1/28/2015 6:11 PM

Nah I like to go in dry and much force

HardBMX_Tim HardBMX_Tim
1/28/2015 6:22 PM

Anywhere where metal touches metal (aside from clamping areas), soak/scrub with penetrating oil or WD40, dry with a rag, and apply grease.

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

Brian_Griffin Brian_Griffin
1/28/2015 6:23 PM

What a weiner! ! Just spray paint everything

F¬ Bom 5403692331

NewAndImprovedClancy NewAndImprovedClancy
1/28/2015 6:30 PM
Brian_Griffin wrote:

What a weiner! ! Just ...more

Exactly.

dkTechEthan dkTechEthan
1/28/2015 8:14 PM

step by step...
[LINK TO IMAGE]

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

MaximusBikes MaximusBikes
1/28/2015 8:20 PM

Chain, headset, and anything else that comes in contact. make sure its all tight too.

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

Baphometh Baphometh
1/29/2015 1:15 AM

chain - use chain oil/grease. you can get them from a shop or maybe even walmart
headset - use thicker grease
bottom brackets - i use the chain grease
you can go as far as disassembling your hubs and greasing those too

"Ride it like you stole it."

Refs: SuperstarDK, Gage191

Shockster585 Shockster585
1/29/2015 6:46 AM

Okay, as a new england resident. I know very well how to work on bikes in the winter. First. Apply chain cleaner/degreaser to the chain. Use a rough brush to clean off all the gunk and keep applying degreaser to the chain. Eventually when the chains perfectly clean. Take off chain. Rinse with water. Then get an air compresser and blow out all of water out of the bushings of the chain. MakE sure you get out all the water. Then. Go hang the chain up while you work on the rest of your bike. Make sure it hangs to make sure any water you missed (you cant get all of it) can dry out while your doing the rest of the bike. Now. Take some bike cleaner. Or whatever you use to clean your frame, bars wheels. Etc. and use it alot bbecause it wil wash off the salt residue due to riding on the roads in the winter. ANd wet the entire bike with it then wipe it off all with a soft cloth. You may have to do it twice due to sand. And make sure you dont "Sandpaper" your frame. THis is when theres alot of salt and sand on your bike and you dont use enough washing liquid and wipe off some of the sand when its dry and accidentally scratch your bike. Dont do this. Make sure you use enough cleaner so you avoid scratching stuff. Now after your done cleaning The outside of your bike. Time to do the bearings. Start by taking off your back wheel and cleaning out your rear hub. Pawls. Springs, and bearings if they sound rough and need it. But dont clean bearings if they dont need it badly. You will wash out grease thats deep within the bearings and make them spin like shit in the longrun. So wait until they dont spin right. now proceed to put your back wheel back on and clean and regrease your bottom bracket and headset. You probably wont need to do your front wheel if its sealed. But if it sounds bad. Clean out the bearings. And make sure to clean your springs on your brakes with a little degreaser and lube them. Maybe drip some lube into your cable housing too. This is ofcourse. If you have brakes haha. I do. Anyways. Now true both wheels if you know how. If Theyre bad out of true and your not sure how to true wheels bring it to a shop if you dont trust yourself and have them do it. Or do what i do and buy a 5 dollar spoke wrench and go on youtube and find a video on how to true wheels and do it yourself. Now after that. Put your chain back on your bike. tighten your chsin chain and back wheel up. lube your chain up. And wipe off the excess. Then make sure your brakes are centered and pads are toed in and their dialed. The give your bike a drop test to see if its dialed. If it aint. Tighten that shit up and that bitch better be dialed. Oh and dont forget to pump up your tires. And theyre ya go. Your bikes clean and ready to take on anything you throw at it! I do this about once a week in the winter and after everytime i ride it i atleast wipe it down and dont leave it crusty with sand and salt and dirt because Thats how you get rust and shit and adirty bike. Witch noone likes. Happy wrenching!

1/29/2015 7:04 AM

Thanks man you're a huge help! Gave me a full tutorial! smile

Shockster585 Shockster585
2/1/2015 7:39 AM

Yeah no problemo! If everyone had a smooth running bike 24 7 like me bmx would be a lot,better! smile

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP