Related:
Create New Tag
SoCalShreds
9/5/2019 8:59 AM

Hi everyone,

I recently found a crack in my Premium Aurora frame. It has treated me well for 7 years! Time for a new one.

I like the idea of built-in chain tensioners and I am curious how they work with female axles. I have the Gsport ratchet cassette, and I figure if I set the chain tensioners then tighten up my bolts (with tension in the chain) that there is the possibility for damaging the axle bolt threads (as the chain tensioners have relatively small surface area, and will be exhibiting a force on the axle bolt threads as they are being screwed in.) I can imagine this being an issue with female axles as the threaded bolt tightens up, but not with male axles as the threads don't rotate in tightening, just the nut. Anyone have experience with this that would mind commenting?

Also, since I am in the market for a new frame I think a olive-drab green (like a military dark green) would be sick with my set-up. (see bike check below). However, I haven't found any that match my description that I like.

As far as geometry I want, I am leaning towards a more conservative sturdy set-up for roasting parks mostly (not looking for cutting edge twitchy geometry with short CS and tight large HT angle-however, I wouldn't be apposed to something a little touchier than the Aurora). I really like the Cult Foley frame, just I've had a blue frame for 7 years, I don't want another blue frame, haha. I also like the Kink Titan II, S&M ATF and the Volume Vessell.

So list your favorite green frames, or whatever color you think will look cool with my setup! (all black with gold hubs, stem and chain)

vie4130
9/5/2019 9:55 AM

FBM Steadfast (Tundra green).

MH
9/5/2019 10:29 AM

I’ve got chain tensioners with female hubs and never had a problem with damaging the bolts.
And it’s amazing for the mental health to never have the wheel moving!

SoCalShreds
9/5/2019 11:07 AM

MH, thanks for your input, that is good to know.

vie4130, someday I'd like to get a dedicated trails bike-when that day arrives I'll be looking at the Steadfast! But for now, I want a more park/street that can be more universal (and brakeless)

.pegless.
9/5/2019 1:09 PM

A ratchet that isn’t fucked? 😊

I think the general idea is to tighten the bolts, then tighten the chain tensioners. So they act like stops rather than tensioners.

OneGuyIlluminatiEye
9/5/2019 5:41 PM
.pegless. wrote:

A ratchet that isn’t ...more

This

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

OneGuyIlluminatiEye
9/5/2019 5:43 PM

Frame wise just depends, i would suggest the kink contender frame in evergreen if you don't mind paint that flakes offffffffffffffff with ease lol

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

Bryan91
9/6/2019 11:00 AM

Have you checked out the new S&M NBD frame in forest green?

ESKEW77
9/6/2019 11:17 AM

It's not green but I love the new cult Dak frame color and geo.

Bulletpup
9/6/2019 12:20 PM

The portion of the tensioner that interfaces with the axle is a softer metal, I think aluminum or magnesium...Im not sure but they are usually super light compared to steel and deform much easier. They work fine with female axles in my experience.

Bulletpup
9/6/2019 12:25 PM

But to add to your buying process, chain tensioners are a pain in the ass. They make getting the rear wheel off harder than it needs to be. If you run male axles, you are just plain not getting the wheel off without the tensioner allen or a chain breaker. Female axles you can just remove the bolt all the way but it takes extra time and its annoying imo.

I suppose if you are only riding park with high pressure tires you wont have a problem but if you ride street and have to deal with glass, thorns, pinch flats, etc. you will be changing your tubes all the time and having to fight the tensioners all the time.

My advice is dont prioritize chain tensioners, they make for better resale value as a pot of people want them or think they want them but they are not worth it at the end of the day.

SoCalShreds
9/9/2019 7:50 AM

Thanks for the responses!

@.pegless. & illuminati - Yes? What issues has the ratchet had in the past? The thing is bomb proof from my experience.

Also, @ illuminati - The Contender wasn't one I was previously looking at - however I like both the geometry and the transgreen color! When you say the paint flakes easy - are you referring to that frame in specific, or Kink frames in general? I've never owned Kink anything, but I think they are going in the right direction so I'd be down to support.

@Bryan91 - Yes I have looked at the S&M NBD, and that is on my list, however, I think I'd really like to get integrated chain tensioners (which that frame doesn't have to my knowledge)

@Bulletpup, I appreciate your response, and I think the issue you described is no different to that of a "slamming" your rear wheel without tensioners. The advantage of tensioners over slamming your wheel that I see is loosening the tension bolts is simpler than breaking a chain (when you have a male axle)

Bulletpup
9/9/2019 9:55 AM
SoCalShreds wrote:

Thanks for the responses!
...more

Fair enough.

.pegless.
9/9/2019 11:50 AM

There’s nothing wrong with the ratchet hub. Trousersnakeguy broke his driver and thinks they’re the worst hub ever and George french is a dick for not giving him loads of free stuff

nando2075
9/9/2019 6:38 PM
SoCalShreds
9/10/2019 11:45 AM

You good sir, deserve a prize. Ask BSD for the hook up because I'll be buying this frame thanks to you!

1) the colors are on point (now the question is do I get the green or the urban camo?)
2) I wanted a more aggressive HT angle but was hesitant, so the 75.2 will be good to start
3) I wanted to try a shorter back end
4) TT size of 20.9", again, I wanted to up from my 20.75 but didn't know if 21" would feel unresponsive so this is the perfect medium.
5) I love that it has integrated chain tensioners to allow me to play with how short I want the back-end to be.

So.... what do you guys think, the green or the urban camo color? (again I have all black parts with gold hubs, chain and stem)

Oldguyjon
9/10/2019 11:57 AM
.pegless. wrote:

A ratchet that isn’t ...more

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

This

Tighten the chain tensioners to get everything straight.. Tighten the bolts. Back off the tensioners 1/8 of a turn.

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

nando2075
9/10/2019 6:10 PM
nando2075 wrote:

...more

SoCalShreds wrote:

You good sir, deserve a ...more

What city you in? If San Diego, Los Angeles check out Oriolbikeshop.com. Tell them Nando wtp/Eclat customer sent ya.
They have a great assortment of BMX frames/ bikes and parts.

Good luck
P.s I would get the green😍

SoCalShreds
9/11/2019 6:19 AM

So I just ordered the Military Green one! I got it from BSD's website (as it save me a good chunk of money over getting it through my shop due to promo codes and stuff. Also, IDK if I've ever seen my shop (5050bmx in Utah) carry BSD products. Plus right now they have super poor selection, not a single frame in stock - all completes.

I'll put up a bike check soon!

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP