Related:
Create New Tag
hatedCS hatedCS
4/20/2018 10:13 AM

Hey all!

I’ll keep this short and sweet, never rode bmx before, will mainly be used to travel to and from places, mainly work (not far from home) but also want to get into riding street when I get al title more confident on the bike.

I’m 6’1 and around 210lbs (biggish guy) looking for tips on a bike, I’m looking for a complete and was thinking of getting the Fit Augie signature 2018 (£450ish) would this be suitable for my needs? If not can you reccomend me any other bikes around the same price point available in the UK?

Thanks for your help!

grumpySteve grumpySteve
4/20/2018 10:18 AM

The fit augie has a 20.5 toptube. It'll feel tiny.
The fly proton is 21" and pretty good spec. There's a few others in that kind of price range.

Ideally you want a full chromoly frame, forks, bars and cranks. Sealed hubs, double wall rims, and integrated headset, and mid bb. Then it'll be pretty sturdy and future proof.

jbales jbales
4/20/2018 10:22 AM

I recommend the Kink Liberty for that price. And welcome!

hatedCS hatedCS
4/20/2018 10:36 AM
grumpySteve wrote:

The fit augie has a 20.5 ...more

might sound stupid but is .5 an inch that different? I’ll check out the one you suggested and see if I can find a 21” that takes my fancy

jbales jbales
4/20/2018 10:42 AM

a seasoned rider used to a 20.5 will notice the difference. I personally believe a beginner will just get used to what they start on. I've seen taller people than you on a 20.5.

hatedCS hatedCS
4/20/2018 11:04 AM
jbales wrote:

a seasoned rider used to a ...more

Ph okay brilliant, I’ll probdbly go to a local bike shop and see if I can try and 20.5 and 21 see what I prefer, then make a final decision

Gack2000 Gack2000
4/20/2018 11:09 AM
grumpySteve wrote:

hatedCS wrote:

might sound stupid but is ...more

Yes and no. I have been riding 35+ years and I can tell what size frame I am on without anyone saying anything. But, newer riders tend to not know as easy. I am 6’ and I ride a 20.75 and it’s perfect. I don’t feel cramped but it still is easy to get around for stuff like tail whips or to tuck into for say a table top.

At 6’ 1, I would suggest a 20.75-21 some companies make a 20.8 which is a sweet spot personally. However, I ride a Sunday and they don’t have a 20.8.

Best way for you to find your best frame size is this.
Take a tape measure to your local shop. Sit on some bikes and see what feels good to you. It’s your bike so you have to see what you’re going to be able to ride all day and not feel cramped or anything. Once you find a bike you feel right on, measure it from center of the top tube to center of the seat tube. And that’s what you should be looking for. Don’t get something that doesn’t feel right. It could be a 21 but could be a 20.5 or anything in between. Then you will know what you need. It takes some time but it is really the best way to do it. Don’t listen to anyone who says you need a set size. It’s your bike and it needs to work for you.

Here is the big thing. If you are still growing you might want to go up 1/4 inch. It will give you room to grow. I think you will find a 20.75-21 is what will feel right to you. If you are lucky, you can ride it around the parking lot and hop some just to get a feel for it.

Companies that make frames/complete bikes that won’t break the bank and have stuff in the sizes you will almost no question feel comfortable are:

Kink
Fit
Eastern

Honestly, that’s the 3 that are going to be the lowest cost. Eastern while not as high end to some can handle alot. And I saw Eastern has really made an effort to get cost down and still make a very good bike.

Now, in my opinion because when I was just switching from racing to dirt/street and park riding. I went from a 21.25 to a 21 and then settled on a 20.8-20.75. Buy a used custom. You can find something with better parts and a perfect size frame for the cost of a new complete bike. And the parts will likely be all sealed and the frame will be full cromoly (which is key).

Now, due to a knee injury and surgery I am selling my Sunday. It’s a 21, I swapped with a friend for my 20.75, it’s near brand new. Full custom, except the cranks are cheap pinch bolt style. Not that that’s bad, I just don’t have any trust in pinch bolt cranks compared to 48 spline. If you are interested in seeing some pictures let me know. Seeing I can’t ride for another 6 months I am going to sell it. I will let it go for $450 neg. frame is lifetime warranty. If you are interested message me and I can send you pictures and parts list. But, still before you do anything check your local shop for a frame that feels good and comfortable.

Mishinn_Control Mishinn_Control
4/20/2018 11:42 AM
grumpySteve wrote:

hatedCS wrote:

might sound stupid but is ...more

It makes a difference. You might not notice it at first & you could definitely get used to anything (I used to ride a 19" tt Hutch Trickstar back in the day & I'm 6'). I can ride anything from a 20.75-21.5. You would be fine on either but being new, I'd err on the larger side & try to find something close to 21". If we were talking about the difference between 20.75 & 20.8, I'd say pick the bike you like best as it's only .050 difference & that isn't going to make or break anyone. a half inch, that's a bit different. Anyway, good luck & Welcome!

grumpySteve grumpySteve
4/20/2018 12:38 PM

Size is a personal preference thing. But you will notice .5" if you compare them. The general rule is 21" if you're close to 6', if you're taller than 6' then 21.25 or 21.5. It is personal preference, but you want to comfortable and not hit your knees on the stem/bars.

I'm 6' and feel like I'm on a little kids bike if the toptube is any shorter than 21". It really could be the difference between enjoying it, or feeling cramped and silly.

Bryan91 Bryan91
4/20/2018 1:31 PM

At 6'3" my old 20.5" frame was almost unrideable (even with heavy Chicago my knees would constantly bash my bars). I didn't really notice it being super cramped until I was about 6'.

Going to a 21.5" frame was like being 5'8" on my old 20.5" (plenty of room).

Again, a lot of it has to do with personal preference and how you ride, but I'd go with a 21" complete unless you've already tried a 20.5", or 20.75" bike...

HondaCRFRacer HondaCRFRacer
4/20/2018 1:40 PM
Bryan91 wrote:

At 6'3" my old 20.5" frame ...more

This. I love my 21.25" TT at 6'2"...

I'm still only 15 y/o, and I'm predicted to be like 6'5"-6'7" and by that time I'll ether be on a 22" wheeled bike, or a 22" toptube 20" bike.. but that's only if I actually get that tall lmaolaughing

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

p1p1092 p1p1092
4/20/2018 1:49 PM
Bryan91 wrote:

At 6'3" my old 20.5" frame ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

This. I love my 21.25" TT ...more

I'm 6'2" as well and I can't stand anything over 21"; just feels sluggish and agitates my old back injury because I stretch out more to hold the bars. Even 21 is kinda pushing it; my perfect TT size is 20.75.

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP