2006 King of New York Report
Bronx, NY – August 15, 2006 – The tenth anniversary of the premier Pro/Am BMX Freestyle Competition in New York City, The King of New York™ (www.kingofnewyorkbmx.com), was held on July 29 and for the first time in it’s history was won by someone other than a local New York City rider. Mongoose’s Steve McCann, 23, out of Melbourne, Australia came all the way from Woodward Camp in Central Pennsylvania to absolutely slay the newly redesigned course at Mullaly Park in the Bronx. Steve put on a show for the 2000 plus spectators throughout the day with smooth 720s on the box, 360 whips over the mini-spine, and scorching 95-degree style and flow to match the heat that day. Steve took home a check for $1000 plus a $500 gift certificate for some fresh gear from Azzure Denim clothing company.
Adrian Vigil, 19, from Henderson, Colorado took second place honors with tech style including barspin to wall taps on the eight-foot WesselBuilt wallride and truckdrivers to x-up on the street spine. Not to be outdone by the gringos, “The Bronx Bomber” and King of New York 2001 and 2002 Pro Champion, Jorge Jovel, 26, represented the Boogie Down right by flowing like the local he is and putting down one-footed x-up box flips and big no-handers on the quarter all day long.
The amateurs got down and dirty in the Bronx too, with great prizes on the line in the birthplace of hip-hop. Noel Gonzalez, 17, from Trenton, NJ took home first place honors in the Expert class, scoring the “Pro For A Day” one-day show package with the FreeCycle Action Sports Team, a free week at Woodward Camp, and a brand spankin’ new Mongoose Simon Tabron signature bike. And while you’re reading this, 14-year old Dan Depre, the Beginner class winner from Hagerstown, MD, is living it up with the top pros during his free stay at Woodward Camp this week.
Thanks go out to all the King of New York sponsors: Scion, Home Depot, Pony Malta, Maxxis, Woodward Sports Camp, Bell Helmets, The Children’s Tumor Foundation, Azzure Denim, Street Sweeper Bicycles, and the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. Associate sponsors are Redbull, FreeCycle Action Sports Team, GT Bikes, Schwinn, Mongoose, Pyramid Shoes, BMX Invasion, S&M Bikes, Revenge Industries, Fit Bikes, Tree Bicycle Company, Hoffman Bikes, Group Home Bikes, and Bulldog Bike Company. Without the support of these companies, the 10th Anniversary King of New York would not have been the successful and fun-for-all event that it was. Support those who support BMX!
All photos are copyright baby bean productions and Danny Ortiz. To request high resolution photos for purchase or commercial use, for more 2006 info, or for sponsorship inquiries for the 2007 event, contact Danny Parks at baby bean productions, 814.466.2165 or email@example.com.
2006 King of New York Final Results
1. Steve McCann, Woodward, PA - Mongoose, Bell Helmets, Kicker, Ogio
2. Adrian Vigil, Henderson, CO - Evolution Bikes, Yellow Designs, Illegal Pete's, GoFast
3. Jorge Jovel, Bronx, NY – baby bean sports
4. Cesar Monzon, Ridley, PA - 2by4, Little Devil
5. Jeff Sylvain, Agawan, MA
6. Matos Goodwin, Tampa FL – SPOT Skatepark
7. Josh Shaw, St. Petersburg, FL
8. Al Dimino, East Stroudsburg, PA - BMXInvasion.com
9. Brian Cunningham, Boalsburg, PA - Redline Bikes, Prime Safety Gear
10. Tim Raymond, Meriden, CT - Axis Fabricx, Cheshire Bike Shop
1. Noel Gonzalez , Trenton, NJ
2. Jonathon Zuraski, Bayonne, NJ
3. Colin Varanyak, Hamilton, NJ
4. Daniel Rivera, Norwalk, CT
5. Collin Evans, DowningTown, PA
6. Quentin Dancy, Brooklyn, NY
7. Frankie Navarro, Bronx, NY
8. Cory Berglar, Jackson, NJ
9. Hasani Bridges, Rosedale, NY
10. Hayston Sheppard, NY, NY
1. Dan Depre, Hagerstown, MD
2. Daniel Ferreira, Kenilworth, NJ
3. JP Fragola, New Rochelle, NY
4. Tony Smith, Hagerstown, MD
5. Zane Bradley, Troy, NH
6. Ryan Sarillo, Long Island, NY
7. Ian Bradley, Troy, NH
8. Lashon Hires, Bronx, NY
9. Jesse Bonomi, Plantsville, CT
10. John Spears, Hewlett, NY
Losey 8/16/2006 2:42 AM