C50_img_41431155304659_1415905782 HardBMX_Tim Quote
4/29/2014 5:32 PM
Theres 30+ emails, so im just going to summarize it all the best I can. They DID go above and beyond to help me out, however I feel the service really wasn't the best in the way things went down and what the guy said/didnt know.

I emailed them about my cracked 7month old Odyssey Trailmixes (Sealed, Aluminum).

They replied telling me there is only 3month warranty on them so they can only offer me cash replacement for either Odyssey Twisted PC pedals or Odyssey Trailmix (loose-ball) pedals.

I told them I am disappointed that I paid $70 for a set of pedals that cracked after only 4months worth of riding(crap weather kept me from riding for majority of the time I owned them), usually only on the weekends aswell, and that not only can I not get them warrantied, but I have to pay just to downgrade my pedals. I told him I had been a loyal customer to Odyssey for years and have spent hundreds of dollars on Odyssey components.

He told me he would talk to his manager about hooking me up this one time since I have been a good customer to Odyssey.

I thanked him and asked if possible if he could just locate an extra or USED sealed pedal or body floating around somewhere that I could purchase for a very generous price.

He replied saying he has a loose-ball pedal he can ship
me, and that the only difference is "how it looks with the different cap"

I said I paid $70 for the sealed models for a reason, if I wanted the unsealed model I would have bought two of them and not be having this problem right now. I would rather take the chances running my cracked one that I paid for than run an unsealed one. I asked about cash replacement prices on JCPCs since I would consider running them.

He didnt know what JCPCs were (he also called Twisteds "cheap plastic unsealed pedals", did not know their actual name)
He sent me some prices on things and there was a giant confusion so he had me call him to get everything straight (this was last Friday).
On the phone told me "plastic halves pedals" (JCPC) $23+shipping, "what you had" (sealed Trailmix) $46+shipping. He said shipping would be about $10 aswell.

I told him I think those prices are a little brutal for being cash replacement prices, but I am kind of interested in JCPCs.

He told me he would do $25 shipped/$15+shipping for the "plastic halves pedals"
Before I could really reply, I guess he had a sudden change of heart, he said "You know what? My budget is good this month. I will send you what you had (sealed Trailmixes) on Monday (said this on Friday.) Just send me an email with your address over the weekend saying that we resolved this over the phone and I will ship them to you on monday. There will be no warranty on the new pair since i am helping you out. If you break them, you now have two pairs, you can figure something out from there."

I thought that was great and must have thanked him 100 times. Emailed Saturday morning with my address and a note saying we worked out a deal over the phone, youll send me sealed Trailmixes free of charge but they will have no warranty.

Yesterday (monday) went by with no word from him, today he emailed me saying he CANT send me "what I had" so he can send me, "looseball", "unsealed plastics", or "plastic halves"

I decided to eat my loss and take the JC/PCs since I wouldn't mind giving them a try, and theyre free pedals after all. Told him I will take JCPCs (plastic halves, metal pins) and left it at that.

He replied with THIS.

I found it pretty unprofessional to bash my warranty claim, especially after everything was settled (for the second time.) YES, it was a small crack on my Trailmix, but I paid $70 for them and expected much better in 7months of occasional riding. A crack is a crack, under Odyssey's warranty there is no regulations on what size the crack has to be to qualify for warranty. YES it was past its warranty anyway, but to call my claim "phony" seems pretty rude coming from one of the biggest names in the business with supposedly one of the best warranty systems. Especially just saying it to back up how my new pedals wont have warranty, which was something we already discussed and agreed was perfectly reasonable before hand.

So yeah, they went above and beyond to help me. Im getting new pedals. Couldnt be happier.

But I feel like the service I received was SHIT, and the guy could atleast learn the names of the parts hes working with. I was nothing but nice and occasionally assertive in the emails. I said thank you in just about every email and was understanding of the situation and ate my losses multiple times. I feel like I could have been treated a little bit better.
4/29/2014 5:39 PM
Here is the crack btw. Yes it is small, and I guess I could continue riding it, but it does go all the way through and makes keeping a pin in that spot impossible.

C50_img_12583448269364_1410841584 biggybuggy Quote
4/29/2014 5:51 PM
Normally you're awesome, but I think you're being a pansy here. It's only one pin. Shit happens. Maybe one of your spills was harder than you thought. I'd ride it, whatever. Eh. No big deal though.
C50_patriot_pop_1_1404421842 Fondue Quote
4/29/2014 6:03 PM
I'm totally not buying ODYS now. LOL jk. Warranties are like that. It doesn't matter how much use you get out of something - when the time is up, the time is up.
4/29/2014 6:05 PM

biggybuggy wrote: Normally you're awesome, ...more

biggybuggy wrote: Normally you're awesome, but I think you're being a pansy here. It's only one pin. Shit happens. Maybe one of your spills was harder than you thought. I'd ride it, whatever. Eh. No big deal though.

Im sure its fine, but it sure as hell shouldn't have cracked in the amount of time ive owned them, especially since I ride only maybe 6-8 days a month. If I would have owned them for 2 years and it just happened, it would be a much different story. I figured I would try to warranty them. Better safe than sorry. I thought the worst thing is they would tell me no and I have to ride them anyway.
4/29/2014 6:07 PM

Fondue wrote: I'm totally not buying ...more

Fondue wrote: I'm totally not buying ODYS now. LOL jk. Warranties are like that. It doesn't matter how much use you get out of something - when the time is up, the time is up.

Yeah yeah! Im not complaining about that, rules are rules! They did go out of their way to help me despite the time being up, but the guy contacting me was (imo) beyond unprofessional.
C50_000_0011_1411948922 BMXism Quote
4/29/2014 6:21 PM
The dude sounds a bit under qualified the way you describe him... maybe everyone else was out riding that day hahha
C50_screen_shot_2014_05_13_at_8.17.30_pm_1400038062 feeble_to_face Quote
4/29/2014 6:56 PM
I would try to contact somebody higher up at odyssey and tell them that this guy has no idea what he's talking about
4/29/2014 7:15 PM

feeble_to_face wrote: I would try to contact ...more

feeble_to_face wrote: I would try to contact somebody higher up at odyssey and tell them that this guy has no idea what he's talking about

Not sure who to contact, but he sent me some DECENT pedals. Not what I paid for or what I want, but its something. Especially since my Trailmixes were past warranty anyway. So no point in wasting more of my time now, besides he was probably a new guy and deserves to be cut some slack. If I dont like the JCPCs ill get my Trailmix welded I guess.

But the guy did do alot for me. Talked to me on the phone after work to help work things out, sent me free pedals (despite them not being what I wanted, beggers cant be choosers), went out of his way to warranty my pedal with it being past warranty, and even lowered prices even more than cash replacement before deciding he'll just hook me up. He did more than enough for me so I am grateful, I just didn't like his attitude in the emails (he was nice over the phone.) I am sure he was inexperienced and just as confused as I was, so all is well. I just hope he learns and maybe treats his next customer with more respect.
C50_screen_shot_2014_05_13_at_8.17.30_pm_1400038062 feeble_to_face Quote
4/29/2014 9:21 PM

feeble_to_face wrote: I would try to contact ...more

feeble_to_face wrote: I would try to contact somebody higher up at odyssey and tell them that this guy has no idea what he's talking about

HardBMX_Tim wrote: Not sure who to contact, ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote: Not sure who to contact, but he sent me some DECENT pedals. Not what I paid for or what I want, but its something. Especially since my Trailmixes were past warranty anyway. So no point in wasting more of my time now, besides he was probably a new guy and deserves to be cut some slack. If I dont like the JCPCs ill get my Trailmix welded I guess.

But the guy did do alot for me. Talked to me on the phone after work to help work things out, sent me free pedals (despite them not being what I wanted, beggers cant be choosers), went out of his way to warranty my pedal with it being past warranty, and even lowered prices even more than cash replacement before deciding he'll just hook me up. He did more than enough for me so I am grateful, I just didn't like his attitude in the emails (he was nice over the phone.) I am sure he was inexperienced and just as confused as I was, so all is well. I just hope he learns and maybe treats his next customer with more respect.

The JCPCs are fine. I have had them for about a year. Remember they don't have bearings so tighten them up or else they wobble. I would last take the pins out of one side
C50_54jnirtd_1384996611 Roqfan Quote
4/29/2014 10:05 PM
Me and biggybuggy can't be the only ones who think the warranty in the first place is stupid? My friend cracked the fly rubens in the same place then got these pedals and cracked them worse than that in less than two months, still rode maybe he'll get them warrantied maybe not but that's nothing to warranty

If you waited till they cracked some more then you could warranty it but that's just dumb I could see what he meant by "phony" claim but this would be something to show odyssey
C50_1240490_693681570661851_1531613746_n_1379792312 BMX_Forever Quote
4/29/2014 10:08 PM
I've said this time and time again. Your Trailmixes will be fine. I've done that before in numerous places and it never caused any problems.
C50_img_2265_1373236816 MaximusBikes Quote
4/30/2014 5:03 AM
I seriously think this is an exaggerated warranty. You could have ran those for a LONG time. Give em to me. I want them haha.

If you want a warranty, veinbmx had my back EVERY time ANYTHING went wrong. I got new axles, new bearings a whole new hub and i only needed the axle. I had the forks break on me, not once but TWICE and each time i got new ones. They even hooked me up with a new frame for half price when i was going to buy one. They were actual riders, that knew what it was like to need stuff warrantied. If you want good customer service they were just that. Too bad I don't have a clue what happened to them. If they were still around i would buy from them LOYALLY. Basically because their parts are still amazing, no doubt about it.
C50_img_20140614_163252_2004512666_1402756553 T-rider Quote
4/30/2014 6:37 AM
He sounds like a new employer, but if your pedals werent under the warranmty time and he sent you jcpcs for free i see that pretty cool.
4/30/2014 5:40 PM
You dont go out and buy a new car and drive it MAYBE 40times over the course of 7months and then not do anything when the gas cover randomly breaks off while driving. Yeah the car is still absolutely driveable, but its kinda bullshit that something broke on your 7month old car that you rarely even touch. Im sure anyone in the right mind would call their dealer asking to have it fixed.

This is the situation I am in with these pedals. I suppose I could still ride them, but I find it pretty crappy that after only 7months of OCCASIONAL riding, my $70 pedals produced a small crack. If I wanted a defect in my pedal after this short a period of time, I would have saved $55 and bought some cheap plastic pedals. I paid the extra $55 under the impression these pedals would last longer than the average plastic pedal. So yes, when I noticed a crack in them after such a short amount of time I wasn't too happy about that extra $55 that just went down the drain! And Odysseys warranty states that there is warranty against manufacturers defect which includes cracks, nowhere did it state the crack has to be a certain size to qualify for warranty, it also did not state that this warranty was only 3months long, otherwise I wouldn't have emailed them to begin with.

So YES, I expected my $70 pedals to hold up against cracks of any way, shape, or form for longer than 7months (3-4months of riding due to weather) and emailed Odyssey when they didn't. I dont understand why that is so wrong? These aren't 2 year old pedals that have been bashed and beaten daily, these are fairly new and havent seen more than 40 sessions and have RARELY been bashed on for grinds.
C50_screenshot_2014_10_17_13_26_44_1413572753 dave lawrence Quote
4/30/2014 7:52 PM
"If I dont like the JCPCs ill get my Trailmix welded I guess."

If they are forged, they won't weld.

But seriously, I would look into JB weld, OR just finding someone else with a set online somewhere. Maybe some kid has a set with a bad other pedal you can snag for cheap?
4/30/2014 8:26 PM

dave lawrence wrote: "If I dont like the JCPCs ...more

dave lawrence wrote: "If I dont like the JCPCs ill get my Trailmix welded I guess."

If they are forged, they won't weld.

But seriously, I would look into JB weld, OR just finding someone else with a set online somewhere. Maybe some kid has a set with a bad other pedal you can snag for cheap?

I made a post in FS looking for one, since the JC/PCs are free though im just going to live with them for a while and see how they do since lately I have been thinking about trying them anyway. Maybe ill stick with them. If not, ill look for a cheap pedal/body online again and hopefully have better luck.

Seriously though, im kinda digging the thought of JC/PCs so maybe it all just works out haha.
C50_whiteghhead_blowup cky199 Quote
4/30/2014 9:53 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote: You dont go out and buy a ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote: You dont go out and buy a new car and drive it MAYBE 40times over the course of 7months and then not do anything when the gas cover randomly breaks off while driving. Yeah the car is still absolutely driveable, but its kinda bullshit that something broke on your 7month old car that you rarely even touch. Im sure anyone in the right mind would call their dealer asking to have it fixed.

This is the situation I am in with these pedals. I suppose I could still ride them, but I find it pretty crappy that after only 7months of OCCASIONAL riding, my $70 pedals produced a small crack. If I wanted a defect in my pedal after this short a period of time, I would have saved $55 and bought some cheap plastic pedals. I paid the extra $55 under the impression these pedals would last longer than the average plastic pedal. So yes, when I noticed a crack in them after such a short amount of time I wasn't too happy about that extra $55 that just went down the drain! And Odysseys warranty states that there is warranty against manufacturers defect which includes cracks, nowhere did it state the crack has to be a certain size to qualify for warranty, it also did not state that this warranty was only 3months long, otherwise I wouldn't have emailed them to begin with.

So YES, I expected my $70 pedals to hold up against cracks of any way, shape, or form for longer than 7months (3-4months of riding due to weather) and emailed Odyssey when they didn't. I dont understand why that is so wrong? These aren't 2 year old pedals that have been bashed and beaten daily, these are fairly new and havent seen more than 40 sessions and have RARELY been bashed on for grinds.

tbh you're complaining too much dude. It looks like you hit the pedal just right and cracked it, they're still ridable, you could probaby even superglue a pin in there and it'd be good as new. plus it was only a three month warranty. the dude probably offered to send you new pedals cause he was getting annoyed with you complaining. also odysseys lifetime warranty is only for 41 thermal products, I didnt even know there was a 3 month warranty on parts. And you got free pedals. Id be happy with the outcome if i were you.
C50_img_12583448269364_1410841584 biggybuggy Quote
4/30/2014 10:58 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote: You dont go out and buy a ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote: You dont go out and buy a new car and drive it MAYBE 40times over the course of 7months and then not do anything when the gas cover randomly breaks off while driving. Yeah the car is still absolutely driveable, but its kinda bullshit that something broke on your 7month old car that you rarely even touch. Im sure anyone in the right mind would call their dealer asking to have it fixed.

Dude. Not trying to be a keyboard warrior or start anything. But it's not a $40,000 car. It's a $70 bicycle pedal. No biggie. Cough cough *buggy* cough cough. It's going to work just fine.
C50_img_20140614_163252_2004512666_1402756553 T-rider Quote
5/1/2014 3:56 AM
DOnt forget that you got new jcpc pedals, without having to retunr yours, yours have a tiny crack and are ridable, id be even happy.
But yes, its disapointing that my ruben pc pedals has lasted more than twice that your trailmixes has without cracking.
5/1/2014 5:48 AM

T-rider wrote: DOnt forget that you got ...more

T-rider wrote: DOnt forget that you got new jcpc pedals, without having to retunr yours, yours have a tiny crack and are ridable, id be even happy.
But yes, its disapointing that my ruben pc pedals has lasted more than twice that your trailmixes has without cracking.

Yeah. I mean maybe I did overthink the crack, atleast thats what everyone else thinks. Im not trying to complain about the end result, because as ive said multiple times, they went out of their way to help me more than they probably should have.
The point of this thread wasn't to bash on the pedal or the warranty system, but to explain how I felt about the service I received.

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry